Wading Boots

Bart Durham

Bart,

I have had decent luck and wear with Orvis boots . Mid Cost about 145.00 I believe maybe a little more or less. Convenient to try on at Oak brook and if they crap out before a season you get a return or refund after that they are prorated. I am pretty hard on my boots and I like them better then most.

Both pairs had the Boca tighting system that could have something to do with it but I have to say I do like the Boca system and would like to keep it if possible.  My main concern is they be light, comfortable and durable. Probably not something that is easy to manufacture.   I'm going to check out the brands both Kevins' mentioned.

I have the same problem with a pair only lasting a season two at most.

I just figure it's because I use them constantly and they never really get a chance to dry out.

Maybe try going over the seams with a small bead of shoe-goo when you get a new pair and before you use them.

I'm about at the point of just buy two pair of cheap hiking type boots at wallmart.

6 hours ago, Bart Durham said:

Both pairs had the Boca tighting system that could have something to do with it but I have to say I do like the Boca system and would like to keep it if possible.  My main concern is they be light, comfortable and durable. Probably not something that is easy to manufacture.   I'm going to check out the brands both Kevins' mentioned.

Don't forget about the https://www.softscience.com/terrafin.html boots that John G mentioned in December.

I have been using Korkers for years and with great success and longevity. The most recent pair is with the Boca system and the Korkers also allow for base changes. ie: rubber, felt or rubber with grips.

Bart, I have the new Hodgman boot that I use with my waders. They also have soles that are interchangeable. I believe one is offered with a Boa style lace system. I have only used them a half dozen times, but I can say that I find them very comfortable and they appear  to be very well made. They would be worth looking into.

I ordered the Soft Science Terrafin as a wet wade boot. They haven't been used yet, but they are the lightest boot I have ever seen. They do not have a bellowed tongue though. That concerns me a bit. I'll find out if I like them this summer.

I have found the biggest killer of wading boots to be HEAT. Don't leave them in your car trunk or truck bed during summer as the heat effects the glue on the soles and the stitching appears to rot out faster on seams. I was going though at minimum a pair of boots a season. After I started removing them from the hot vehicle on a regular basis the lifespan of my boots have doubled. If I'm not going to be wading in them for a few days I throw them on a boot dryer to dry them out thoroughly and store them inside the garage where it's cooler than the vehicle. I would suggest staying with a higher end boot from Simms, Patagonia, Orvis because of their warranty as stated above in this thread.

I have had good luck with boots lasting 3-4 years.  I credit to removing the boots from the trunk or truck bed and stuffing wadded up news paper in the boots.  you will be surprised how fast the paper dries out the boot.

Apparently I'm the only one that has had good luck with Cabela's  boots. Averaging 60-65 days a year wading some pretty rough rivers

these boots have held up as good as any, usually two full seasons then I pass them on to a friend and get a new pair. This last pair I got

is the best one yet, it seems like they are easier to get on and off.  Years ago I bought a pair of Simms and the sole separated by the second

season.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MENS-FELT-SOLE-WADING-SHOES/2948786.uts?productVariantId=6189656&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=05348837&rid=20&msclkid=4ddca925f54e1ad6f221f5adc88b1818&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CPWBzoTe_eACFVCVxQIdZ50KZg&gclsrc=ds

I still have the same Simms boots I bought in 2011 as well as the waders. I sent them both to NC to use once or twice a year now so I don't have to transport them anymore. No leaks in the waders and despite the Vibram soles being worn, the boot, stitching, etc. is still intact and serviceable. I always put them on my balcony for a good air dry between uses.

They've seen miles of river. I think something can be said about buying high quality gear and a little TLC when you can. I know guys that rinse their boots and waders after every use and then let them dry out when possible. If you're wading a few days a week and keeping gear in the vehicle in between, I'm guessing it's going to wear out a lot quicker.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:17 AM, Bart Durham said:

I like the Boca system a lot and haven't had a problem yet, though I know guides like lace up boots because it's a pain to fix Boca on the fly, and they can't absorb downtime too well.

The Boca is nice at the end of the day when your back is in spasms and you have to lean over to get your boots off. Now I can push a button and kick them off pretty easily.

7 hours ago, Steve S. said:

I think something can be said about buying high quality gear and a little TLC when you can. I know guys that rinse their boots and waders after every use and then let them dry out when possible. If you're wading a few days a week and keeping gear in the vehicle in between, I'm guessing it's going to wear out a lot quicker.

I always wash both my boots and waders after each time I use them ( I'm retired and have the time) and I can attest that it really makes a difference.