Balancing slip floats

Philf

I just started fishing with slip floats. To save time and frozen hands you can balance them at home in a glass of water. Use a bent paper clip slipped up through the bottom of the float. Then add weights and a jig head and write down the size of weight on the float. 

there was a video on making slip floats super balanced   they used a styrofoam one that had the wire going thru it and a round strip of lead at the base.   long story,   bend out the wire, remove weight , cut the float in half and cut hole to put the weight dead center, glue the halves back togethrer and re string the wire.  i learned slip bobbering from the best at shabbona, the only way to fish the cribs  here and the deep trees

15 hours ago, rich mc said:

there was a video on making slip floats super balanced   they used a styrofoam one that had the wire going thru it and a round strip of lead at the base.   long story,   bend out the wire, remove weight , cut the float in half and cut hole to put the weight dead center, glue the halves back togethrer and re string the wire.  i learned slip bobbering from the best at shabbona, the only way to fish the cribs  here and the deep trees

I’ll have to try the slip floats in trees. So far I’ve just vertical jigged and dropshotted trees. I think the benefit of the slip float modification you described is that the float would show up bites, it would lay on its side as well as pull down bites. Thanks for the reminder I remember something about that modification and may have actually done it. My new SOP is to always have a Lure hanging (fly, crappie tube, small plastic worm) while I cast/vertical jig a spoon, Crappie jig for trout, gills or crappie.