Jake B

Hennepin Canal Lock 6

Crazy. It is amazing how much that canal affects watersheds in the area.  One of the few places with bridges that flow a river over another river.  What do they do now, continue to spend millions repairing levees or spend multi-million returning it to a semi-natural state. 

I fish the Hennepin canal several times during the year. It’s pretty shallow at all times, this could have a big impact on the fish that are there.

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

Crazy. It is amazing how much that canal affects watersheds in the area.  One of the few places with bridges that flow a river over another river.  What do they do now, continue to spend millions repairing levees or spend multi-million returning it to a semi-natural state. 

What would be a semi-natural state? Assume it was originally created to join Illinois with Rock and maybe help with field drainage? Would it just start to dry up  like parts of the I&M? Does it still function as a water path between rivers/locks still work? Can probably google but just asking questions about feasibility of going backwards?

I read they were asking for emergency funding for a repair.

I do not believe that any of the locks are workable. It is for recreational use only, biking, canoeing,, hiking, and fishing.

Took the wife for a ride today and decided to fly over the canal to see if they've begun any repairs. Here's a few pics.

22928353-FCBF-41CF-A485-4106D702AED0.jpeg

That's great to hear. I haven't fished the canal in several years but I'd like to change that this summer.