Move Over Kelly

Mike G

32813861368_2cfeafc614_z.jpgFirstbeast by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

A while back someone reminded me that I missed Gunnar Brammer when he was in town.  Since then I have been binge watching his videos. He has close to 100 on You Tube. He is wound a little tight, but the vids have great information and demos of techniques. Inspired by him and Popovics I tied this Beast Fly. Since it is around to 8 inches long, it is hard to say if I will ever use it. I did adopt Popovics method hand holding the tube  and whipping the thread to form the thread cone (see video about 1/2 way). Starting out the tubes were 1+ inches long. After tying I trimmed them fore and aft to about ¾”. I used .018 beadalon 7 strand for the wire with the bead lock just like Gunnar. Good videos below.

Well Done Mike !  

Do you have any idea how long it took to create that Beast?  Since the amount of time I have to fish a fly is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes for me to tie said fly, I would probably lose that one before I even got on the water.

I would like to tie one in a 4" specimen, can it be done easily and still keep it's shape?

15 hours ago, Rob G said:

Well Done Mike !  

Do you have any idea how long it took to create that Beast?  Since the amount of time I have to fish a fly is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes for me to tie said fly, I would probably lose that one before I even got on the water.

I would like to tie one in a 4" specimen, can it be done easily and still keep it's shape?

If you only need 4" inches you do not have to go to the tubes. His Predator flies -Deceiver, Bulkhead, or Jig Bulkhead might be the ticket. But the simple answer first,"Use fewer tubes."

1st of 3 pt Predator series starts here 

Mike, I'm thinking that bucktail deceiver would be a dandy for the group to work on at our upcoming, 

(Get ready for it..... Shameless Plug to follow)

Central Illinois Fly Tying gathering coming up here in less than two weeks.

January 27th 1pm - 4pm  Bloomington, IL

39885870563_2259f5a70e_z.jpgMickeyFinn by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

I tried some freestyling to get a Brammer Mickey Finn.

For the record.

Pattern:

Hook # 2 saltwater

Thread: red poly

Tail:Straight tie yellow bucktail

Silver flash

1st bulkhead: yellow bucktail

Silver flash

Wings: 2 red saddle hackle tied over 1st bulkhead

Silver Flash

Collar: High and tight yellow bucktail

Eyes: Real Immitation Jungle Cock

Head: Black Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Mike, finally found some open water in which to cast my "high and tight" bucktail streamers today.  Unfortunately not what I had hoped for.  The "high and tight" loses its "high".  When pulled through the water it turns into a more bullet or aerodynamic shape.  Don't get me wrong, it's a nice "minnow" profiled fly, tubular if you will, but not going to be mistaken for a bluegill.   Will it catch fish, yes, very much so, but you will need to animate the fly with your strip, retrieve and rod tip action, otherwise the fly is pretty dead.  No built in swimming action like a hollow or articulated fly.   I think it's a cool fly, love the simplicity and the hundreds of years of human history using bucktail to catch fish.  I will be giving it a good work out when the water warms but just wanted to let you know its limitations.  Oh and I followed the other Kelly's idea of placing eyes on this thing using UV glue, worked well, hopefully they'll remain on with repeated use.  I'll get a photo attached later on. 

Of course Scott, but this fly was designed or advertised to give the profile of a wide or high body baitfish such as a small sunfish .  Another wonderful example of a fly that looks good in the vise but doesn't deliver on what I thought it would in the water.  I'm not saying it won't catch fish, because it will, but it won't imitate what I had hoped for.   It needs stiffer material so it doesn't collapse upon retrieval.  Stiffer Puglisi hair flies won't collapse as easily but then they might not have the movement of bucktail. 

Rob,

Most of the Brammer Bucktails I have tied so far are bunkered. I have not done much High/tight. I want to eventually get a good Crappie immitation.  On my prototype I found that really squeezing and wrapping tight delivered a skinny flat shape.  I am thinking that this thing tied on the leader with an open loop knot will veer side to side on the strip/pause. Not having an indoor pool I have not put one in the water yet though it keeps its shape in the tub test. 

33290972508_5a48c04291_z.jpgHitite by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

Right now I am  working on getting the Black/white color scheme of a Crappie 

Good luck Mike, my high and tight flies in the vise were just like that but after a cast, it takes on a more minnow profile.  And yes, I was using a loop knot, but still no side to side action unless you make it do that by animating your rod tip.  Bucktail when wet is just too flaccid to offer any resistance.  Still a neat fly