32813861368_2cfeafc614_z.jpgFirstbeast by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

A while back someone reminded me that I missed Gunnar Brammer when he was in town.  Since then I have been binge watching his videos. He has close to 100 on You Tube. He is wound a little tight, but the vids have great information and demos of techniques. Inspired by him and Popovics I tied this Beast Fly. Since it is around to 8 inches long, it is hard to say if I will ever use it. I did adopt Popovics method hand holding the tube  and whipping the thread to form the thread cone (see video about 1/2 way). Starting out the tubes were 1+ inches long. After tying I trimmed them fore and aft to about ¾”. I used .018 beadalon 7 strand for the wire with the bead lock just like Gunnar. Good videos below.

Well Done Mike !  

Do you have any idea how long it took to create that Beast?  Since the amount of time I have to fish a fly is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes for me to tie said fly, I would probably lose that one before I even got on the water.

I would like to tie one in a 4" specimen, can it be done easily and still keep it's shape?

15 hours ago, Rob G said:

Well Done Mike !  

Do you have any idea how long it took to create that Beast?  Since the amount of time I have to fish a fly is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes for me to tie said fly, I would probably lose that one before I even got on the water.

I would like to tie one in a 4" specimen, can it be done easily and still keep it's shape?

If you only need 4" inches you do not have to go to the tubes. His Predator flies -Deceiver, Bulkhead, or Jig Bulkhead might be the ticket. But the simple answer first,"Use fewer tubes."

1st of 3 pt Predator series starts here 

Remember the bulkhead is just a platform. Look at his freestyle  videos to  get some ideas.

Mike, I'm thinking that bucktail deceiver would be a dandy for the group to work on at our upcoming, 

(Get ready for it..... Shameless Plug to follow)

Central Illinois Fly Tying gathering coming up here in less than two weeks.

January 27th 1pm - 4pm  Bloomington, IL