Milwaukee river

JOHN SCHENCK

I’ve been discussing a trip with a friend of mine to target Kings, bows and or any other species that might be a viable option on this river this time of year. Thinking of going second week of December with traditional gear. I thought I’ve seen reports in the past from some members that have had success on this river. Any advice on presentations would be much appreciated as I have very little experience targeting these species. Thanks in advance! 

I'd seen some gear guys fished with a spawn sack or a bead under a float with good success.  The kings and the cohos would mostly be dead by then, but the browns and the steelheads would still be around.

Tom is spot on as always! Spawn sacks, beads or small crappie tubes (pearl white is a good color) tipped with a waxworm under floats are usually the ticket in colder water of December/January. If you want to throw hardware, inline spinners in nickel, brass or orange blades in size 2-4 can also be effective at times slow rolled through holes and on the swing in  runs.

9 hours ago, Tom L said:

I'd seen some gear guys fished with a spawn sack or a bead under a float with good success.  The kings and the cohos would mostly be dead by then, but the browns and the steelheads would still be around.

Very cool, thanks for the info. The window for Kings is closing then soon I assume? 

9 hours ago, joshw said:

Tom is spot on as always! Spawn sacks, beads or small crappie tubes (pearl white is a good color) tipped with a waxworm under floats are usually the ticket in colder water of December/January. If you want to throw hardware, inline spinners in nickel, brass or orange blades in size 2-4 can also be effective at times slow rolled through holes and on the swing in  runs.

Great info for a novice going after these species. Much appreciated!  I’ll report back how we do. 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, JOHN SCHENCK said:

Very cool, thanks for the info. The window for Kings is closing then soon I assume? 

Kings are dead by now.  There will be steelhead and browns in the river all winter though.  If you want kings, it seems early to mid September may be prime time.  I much prefer catching the big browns and steelhead to salmon.

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

Kings are dead by now.  There will be steelhead and browns in the river all winter though.  If you want kings, it seems early to mid September may be prime time.  I much prefer catching the big browns and steelhead to salmon.

Thanks for the heads up Andy! Do you have more success with egg patterns or casting lures?