Sign in to follow this  
Philf

Keep your hands warmer

Wrapped some black electrical tape around the reel foot and seat on the rod kinda like you do with the Tennessee handle rods keeps your hand warmer. 

2149DC99-9167-449A-8006-16C36ABE1788.jpeg

Cool idea.... I’ve been plotting for a winter float on the kayak this winter. Gathering all the data I can to find wintering areas and ways to stay warm while doing so. I need a January smallmouth yet. 

If you’re kayaking upstream in higher flows you’ll find small areas where you can stop and rest with out paddling. The fish are in those spots. 

Best thing I've found to keep my hands warm/warmer is the the blue nitrile gloves. I think Joe R. was the first one I saw sporting them. A "no throw away" but more expensive option are the R1 gloves from Patagonia. I'm sure there is something similar by other companies.

John, if you haven't already done so check out  Jeff Littles Youtube videos on coldwater fishing.  Lots of good info on baits etc. but also a lot of safety tips. 

13 hours ago, JOHN SCHENCK said:

Solid! High flow + cold water = tough but extra rewarding if you can land a biggun. You kayak fish a lot During cold months

The canoe or kayak helps on the rivers near me. Tough to walk the shoreline with hills and hunters. The bigger rivers like the Kankakee are easier from shore.  Once you know what to look for. Small slack water spots. You can hit a bunch and have coffee and sandwiches in the car. Just recovering from the flu I decided to skip getting a shot this year. I should be back on the water in a week or so.  I’ve spent a lot of time winter fishing so if you have any questions let me know.