Vermillion River Float, Saturday, September 15, 2018

Barring any major downpours this week we will be floating the Vermillion River next Saturday, September 15, 2018.  We'll float the stretch between the Rt. 178 bridge near Lowell and the boat ramp at the Rt. 23 bridge in Ogelsby.  This is a lengthy float (approximately 9 miles) and will take most of the day.  It will take us through the Carlson Nature Preserve and Matthiessen State Park.  There are 2 places we may need to portage around (Wildcat and the Mill) but we will have John Gillio accompany us to figure out the safest way through these two locations.  We will plan to meet at the Vermillion River Canoe Launch located at the Route 178 Bridge near Lowell, Illinois at 7:00 am to set up our shuttle. You will need to bring a lunch and drink as we will plan to stop for lunch along the way. Also don't forget PFD device and polaroid sunglasses, hat and sunscreen.  Please let us know if you can join us.

38 minutes ago, Kev-mo said:

I'm a solid maybe leaning towards probably...  Just trying to work things out with a friend who moved back to town. He doesn't have all his stuff up here yet and he'll probably just wade a bit.

Does he need a yak or canoe? Maybe I can help. 

1 hour ago, mannym said:

Does he need a yak or canoe? Maybe I can help. 

That's very generous of you! Yes if you had an extra yak that would be appreciated! He's also trying to work out some daycare for his dog and he'll find out about that tomorrow. 

How long of a day will it be floating? I know it depends... just looking for a guesstimate.  I don't think he can leave his dog all day long unless he can do the daycare thing.

Starved Rock pet resort is near by. In fact, it is on the Vermillion upstreamnear a bridge...... I take my three dogs there when my wife and i go out of town. There are a few more kennels near the put in as well. 

Time on the water will vary.  It depends on how John keeps the pace. If it were me leading, we would be there till the early winter bite. 

Good news, if anyone has limitied time, there are places to get out earlier than the rest. Specifically, miles 1 through 3 are easy outs. After that, i am not too familiar with take outs. John might have a much better idea. The lower portion is his turf. 

He's going through some sort of approval process for the place that is near where he is staying as he needs a permanent daycare place.  I guess they need to check to make sure vaccines are up to date etc. Just trying to get an idea if we'll be done mid afternoon or early evening... along things considered. Thanks for the info on the pet resort, I'll pass that along.

The Vermillion is down to below 50 cfs and will require dragging our kayaks in a number of places.  Also, Wildcat will be even more difficult to get through at this low stage.  After consulting with John and Manney we've decided to make this a wade trip instead of a float trip.  We'll still meet at Canoe launch near the Lowell bridge at 7 am. and go to our fishing locations from there.   John will likely take the spin fisherman to his stretch and Manney will take the fly fisherman to his stretch.  We'll fish 4-6 hours and have lunch afterwards. Should be a fun outing.

9 hours ago, Bart Durham said:

The Vermillion is down to below 50 cfs and will require dragging our kayaks in a number of places.  Also, Wildcat will be even more difficult to get through at this low stage.  After consulting with John and Manney we've decided to make this a wade trip instead of a float trip.  We'll still meet at Canoe launch near the Lowell bridge at 7 am. and go to our fishing locations from there.   John will likely take the spin fisherman to his stretch and Manney will take the fly fisherman to his stretch.  We'll fish 4-6 hours and have lunch afterwards. Should be a fun outing.

Can we get a count of fly guys and spin guys?