Mark K

Clouser Leader Kit- Any Interest?

So I bought all the clear Berkley Big Game spools to make my own knotted leaders.  The 6-8 weight recommended recipe.

5 spools at almost $7 each.  Walmart was the cheapest place and it took me going to several to get the right sizes.

http://smallmouthflybox.blogspot.com/2012/07/leader-construction.html

There is no way I will ever use all this line, and I generally don't use mono on my conventional rods and this is 10 lifetime supplies of leader material.

If I can find spools and figure out a way to wind equal lengths on, say a couple a 100 yards or so to split the spools up, is there any interest in splitting these up with me?  I am not looking to make a profit, I would just have to figure out what cost would be.

I'm so bad at my knots still, ugh

I still buy pre-made leaders

20 hours ago, Steve S. said:

I'm so bad at my knots still, ugh

I still buy pre-made leaders

There are tools that you can use to tie a blood knot.

It's a shame that we didn't speak beforehand because I could have given you that mono line if you didn't mind it in their greenish color.  Btw, I know the traditional knot used is a blood knot but for years I've used a double surgeon's knot as it is easier to tie and is smaller.  Also my Lefty  formula is simplified as well, 40,30,20,10 but turns over large flies well.  Eveeybody has their own special recipe, ha.

Mark,

Thanks for the offer and thanks for reminding us of this great leader design that in buried in one of Bob Clouser's  books. I would take you up on this if I had not already made my lifetime investment in leader material. Since I can also use the 40, 30, and 20 lb stuff for weed guards on flies I tie and the 15, 12. and 10 on my baitcasters, I am not stuck with 100s of yards of line that I may never use. I have used this "big butt" designs for some time. They are great for turning over bulky flies as the article says.

Anyone who has not tried the design should take you up on the offer. They should learn to  tie the classic Blood Knot and Perfection Loop anyway.  Up to 1950 these knots were go to knots when tapered leaders were constructed from segments of drawn silk gut.  There had to be a lot of knots because the max length of a strand was about 15-20 inches. The knots are still among the best for mono-mono, mono-flouro, and braid-mono. The perfection loop can't be trusted on super lines however.  A fixed loop for braid is another question.

I should mention that like Rob, I have simplified my big butts based on Lefty' advice. It is a 4- 2,-1 leader. The numbers give rough proportions for both the lb test and the length. My  basic leader is 4 ft of 40#, 2 ft of 20#, and 1 ft  of 12#. I will put 2 ft of 10# on the end for a tippet.  This gives me a nice 9 ft leader with only 3 knots to catch debris.  You can scale up or down as needed like 30-15-8 with 4-6# tippet for your panfish rod. 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:48 AM, Mike G said:

Mark,

Thanks for the offer and thanks for reminding us of this great leader design that in buried in one of Bob Clouser's  books. I would take you up on this if I had not already made my lifetime investment in leader material. Since I can also use the 40, 30, and 20 lb stuff for weed guards on flies I tie and the 15, 12. and 10 on my baitcasters, I am not stuck with 100s of yards of line that I may never use. I have used this "big butt" designs for some time. They are great for turning over bulky flies as the article says.

Anyone who has not tried the design should take you up on the offer. They should learn to  tie the classic Blood Knot and Perfection Loop anyway.  Up to 1950 these knots were go to knots when tapered leaders were constructed from segments of drawn silk gut.  There had to be a lot of knots because the max length of a strand was about 15-20 inches. The knots are still among the best for mono-mono, mono-flouro, and braid-mono. The perfection loop can't be trusted on super lines however.  A fixed loop for braid is another question.

I should mention that like Rob, I have simplified my big butts based on Lefty' advice. It is a 4- 2,-1 leader. The numbers give rough proportions for both the lb test and the length. My  basic leader is 4 ft of 40#, 2 ft of 20#, and 1 ft  of 12#. I will put 2 ft of 10# on the end for a tippet.  This gives me a nice 9 ft leader with only 3 knots to catch debris.  You can scale up or down as needed like 30-15-8 with 4-6# tippet for your panfish rod. 

Thanks Mike.  I like simple.

I have 6wt that I use a lot.   I don't throw gigantic flies.  The largest being , say the bigger boogle bug and I also throw the smaller boogle bug with it too.   What would you or anyone recommend for a leader?

Mark, you can probably get by with a lighter leader than mine if that's all you're casting but I tend to use the same "bass" leader for all my bass fishing.  Similar to Mike's and adapted from Lefty's recommendation but with just a touch more gradual transition:

4 ft of 40 lb

2 ft of 30 lb

1 ft of 20 lb

2-3 ft of 10 lb as tippet  

Over the years I have seen countless layouts and one very well known author simply uses 8 ft of 10 lb fluorocarbon when casting streamers.