Kish Outiing Date Change

Due to a scheduling conflict the Kish wade outing has been pushed back 1 week to Saturday August 25th,.

Join us for a wade fishing outing on the Kishwaukee River. Mid-August offers the most stable conditions for wading this gem of a smallmouth stream. We will meet at the Cherry Valley Café at 8AM and break up into groups from there. There will be options to fish the north, south, and main branches of the Kish depending on current water conditions. Bring proper wading attire, sun protection, and water for hydration. Call Paul Trybul 815-540-7775 if you have any questions regarding the event

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, August 02, 2018 at 10:42 AM, Paul Trybul said:

Due to a scheduling conflict the Kish wade outing has been pushed back 1 week to Saturday August 25th,.

Join us for a wade fishing outing on the Kishwaukee River. Mid-August offers the most stable conditions for wading this gem of a smallmouth stream. We will meet at the Cherry Valley Café at 8AM and break up into groups from there. There will be options to fish the north, south, and main branches of the Kish depending on current water conditions. Bring proper wading attire, sun protection, and water for hydration. Call Paul Trybul 815-540-7775 if you have any questions regarding the event

Bump

9 hours ago, ScottocS said:

This will be the first ISA outing for my son and I.  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Looking forward to meeting you too, as I've never met a palindrome with so many letters before. 

Not sure if I'll be fishing, but I will be there for the Country Breakfast.

Yesterday was fun, really wish I could have stuck around longer. Had a big turnout with new and familiar faces. I got to fish the South Branch with Joe R. and Ken K. we stuck to the long rod and brought a handful of dink smallmouth to hand while I was there. The fishing talk was great as always. 

We had a nice turnout for our Kishwaukee River wade outing on Saturday.

DSCF0562.jpg

Thank you for all who participated. We met for breakfast to get fueled up for our wade while telling fishing stories. Then we broke up into 3 groups with a group going to each branch of the Kishwaukee.  I had a diverse group of ages and fishing styles so I led a group of 4 on the main branch. It offered relatively easy access and let everyone spread out giving plenty of space to the fly fisherman.

DSCF0563.jpg

I'm not used to fishing that slow as we picked apart a one mile stretch over 6 hours. Numbers were pretty low but I did get 3 decent ones in the 16"-16.5" range on a whopper plopper.

DSCF0564.jpgDSCF0567.jpg

We also had an encounter with 2 huge snapping turtles in an epic wrestling match.

DSCF0573.jpgDSCF0575.jpg

These 2 were going at it for quite a while and were still at it when we left. I wasn't about to get in the middle and try to break it up. 

Cool turtle fight shots! 

I took Scott and his son Tristan upstream of Cherry Valley. It was pretty slow, but no-one got skunked. I picked up seven (all on the JudeBug), Tristan caught three, and Scott managed one. No real size in any of them. It was fun introducing some enthusiastic fishermen to the Kish. We got plenty of excercise.  

12 hours ago, jude said:

Cool turtle fight shots! 

I took Scott and his son Tristan upstream of Cherry Valley. It was pretty slow, but no-one got skunked. I picked up seven (all on the JudeBug), Tristan caught three, and Scott managed one. No real size in any of them. It was fun introducing some enthusiastic fishermen to the Kish. We got plenty of excercise.  

Jude showing us what holes to pick apart and what the kish had to offer was amazing.  he's a true gentleman. 

The bald eagle was a plus too!

Glad to see a good turnout. Sorry I missed it.

Maybe I'll try to toss together another Kish outing a few weeks from now.

14 hours ago, jude said:

We got plenty of excercise.  

I would like to get some folks out to exercise the arms instead of the legs. ?

Thanks to all who filled in to lead a group. Much appreciated.

Fishing was slow on the South Branch, in comparison last time I floated that section several weeks back I had a 40 fish day. Water was lower than expected (Ben you turned around right before the river got more interesting, Ken it was great to meet you and you were able to make it to start of what I'd refer to as a more productive section). I stayed out little to long, went too far, and although I carried a 64ounce water bladder in the backpack I sucked it empty and the couple mile slog back upriver rather sucked (partly since I had 32 ounces of sweat sloshing in the waders LMAO).

I missed a couple fish on the fly rod so after a few hours I switched to the 2pc spinning rod I had strapped to my backpack. I started picking up smallies rotating through different plastics and spinner baits later in the day but nothing on topwaters or crankbaits (well actually a couple pike on buzzbaits). Probably ended up w/20 smallies (all 14" or less) and a couple pike but I'd consider that slow for an all day outing. When several go to spots aren't producing any bites you know you are on a slow day...

Thanks for leading a group Joe. I was thinking about staying our longer to see if some tougher access areas had more biting fish. Unfortunately when I got back to my car and checked my phone it had about a dozen missed calls and messages. Turns out the jerks in my fantasy football league changed the draft day from Sunday to Saturday but forgot to tell me.