Rob G

What's your favorite topwater fly for river smallies?

Rob, nice catch! As I said, we often think alike on the water. Tie that fly in white, yellow, orange, and brn and you may be set up for when they are feeding on cottonwood fluff and, in the fall, leaves. They seem to fo us on a single color leaf on a given day. 

I'm not sure who is more hooked, this other grassie that I took today or me chasing these darn things.  This one also took "da Bomber" but I had another one on today that hit my big black bug, unfortunately he got off but not before breaking off the tip of my favorite smallie rod.  This super light weight and very high modulus MHX graphite is probably not the ideal rod when targeting these brutes.   The other thing is that I've got to switch over to one of my better reels for this game as the drag is really getting a work out during these 30 minute battles. 

Btw John, you were right, I sat crouched down on this rock watching this one grassy holding in the current who seemed focused on only orange leafs as they floated down the river.  He would move up and take it in for a second or two then expel it, and of course I had absolutely zero orange flies of any nature on me.  He had no interest in my black bugs or any other colored leaf.   Curious fish.   

a.jpg

Grass Carp are said to be good eating fish. Have you tried any?

I would make sure those invasives aren't going back in the river alive.  The rivers here are absolutely loaded with them.  Say goodbye to any aquatic vegetation that is palatable to grass carp in the river.

Mike,

I have not eaten grass carp but when I used to bowfish a lot, we often kept a big cooler with ice on the boat when there was a good chance that we might take one.  There is a local Chinese restaurant owner that LOVED it when we would bring him one or two of these after a day on the water.  He prepared them for his patrons and in return he would give us free lunch buffets.  It was a great deal for us but then we were able to transport the fish via the boat, not so easy now when I've waded back up the river a half mile or more.

Andy,

you bring up a very good point that I have not considered.  I released the couple that I landed, probably would have been better for the water and the nearby eagles and critters if I had not.  What's surprising to me is the number of large grassies that are present, since I don't ever remember seeing this many in the past.  Interestingly, I'm not seeing the numbers of gar that were present here, specifically the large long nose.   Maybe related, maybe not.  The water is about as low as it gets and I'm sure they're more concentrated than usual.

19 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'm not sure who is more hooked, this other grassie that I took today or me chasing these darn things.  This one also took "da Bomber" 

a.jpg

They can be addictive. That black bomber would most likely work well during a periodic cicada hatch also. They love the cicadas.I noticed them feeding on them many yrs ago. They just sat In a lane like trout waiting for a cicada to drift by. A small black popper was just the ticket for an afternoon of fun picking off fish from the back of the pack. Have fun with them Rob.

John, I present to you the Cicada Bomber Ha, from your inspiration.  Hope to get a chance to try it out in the next few days.  Btw, I tied one in orange as well to represent that leaf.  We'll see if any of them pan out.

d.JPG

c.jpg

I am sure they will suck that thing down.  The grass carp around here select for certain kinds of leaves.  I see them pulling branches of walnut trees when the river is flooded, and any downed walnut is stripped of it's leaves in hours while the maples go untouched.  They do love the maple seeds (helicopters) though, cottonwood fluff, and other leaves.  I'm going to have to figure how to tie a leaf imitation.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:08 AM, Andy C said:

I am sure they will suck that thing down.  The grass carp around here select for certain kinds of leaves.  I see them pulling branches of walnut trees when the river is flooded, and any downed walnut is stripped of it's leaves in hours while the maples go untouched.  They do love the maple seeds (helicopters) though, cottonwood fluff, and other leaves.  I'm going to have to figure how to tie a leaf imitation.

Interesting about the walnut  leaves. For a leaf pattern I have had some luck with a zonker strip tied to a craft foam strip to keep it afloat. 

very creative, after the cast does the hook normally ride down ?  

37 minutes ago, Rob G said:

very creative, after the cast does the hook normally ride down ?  

Yes. This one is on a size 4 hook. I have not yet thrown it, but those I tied on my original size 8 hooks always land hook down. The smaller ones often go unnoticed. I thought maybe a larger one would attract more attention.