Leaking Waders

In an effort to find a decent set of waders that would hold up better than what I had been getting, I bit the bullet and spent just shy of $400 on a set of Simms. Big mistake. They leaked right from the git-go. I sent them back and they told me it was my fault. It sure was my fault for wasting big bucks on a product that was no better than anything else around.

My advice to those wanting new waders. Save your money and buy 3 pair of Bass Pro, Cabela's or whatever brand of boots you like.

It just proves my point. There are 2 kinds of waders. Those that leak, and those that are going to leak. $400 waders aren't bullet, hook or thorn proof. It just hurts that much more when they do leak.

Hey Scott,

Sorry to hear about your waders. I'd be POed too.

Speaking of waders, does anybody do anything special with their breathable waders? I have just been washing the dirt off them and the boots when I come back and I also hang them up. Any advice? Good fishing. Paul

Hey Scott,

Sorry to hear about your waders. I'd be POed too.

Speaking of waders, does anybody do anything special with their breathable waders? I have just been washing the dirt off them and the boots when I come back and I also hang them up. Any advice? Good fishing. Paul

Sounds like you are on the right track with wader care.

When I get back from a day trip I like to hang my waders on a suit hanger outside and spray them down with the hose. I even have a little soft bristled brush I use to knock off the gross stuff.

Only one other thing left to do, make sure they are dry before you store them. After I think mine are dry I wait one more day to make sure.

Another hint: when storing fold them loosely dont scrunch them up and but them back in the box. I lay mine on top of my wading shoes and store in a dark dry cabinet.

A word about Simms, I have worn them for years and never had a leak or any other issues. It looks like Scott may have gotten a lemon this time. It is suprising that Simms didnt stand behind their gaurantee, especially since you do pay a premimum for their product.

Simms has a "First repair is on us" warranty. They said I damaged them so this was my "first" one. During the first 30 days, you can return them. I didn't even fish for 40 days after I got mine so that warranty expired before they even came out of the box. I didn't even scratch my butt while wearing them the first time out. They must be pretty fragile. I could not find a mark anywhere on them where they were leaking.

I had a pair of Orvis waders for several months that I tore a big hole in the neoprene sock. Orvis sent me a new pair, no questions asked. Those were $139.

ALL waders will leak if you poke a hole in them. Why spend 3 times as much for Simms if they'll tear as easily as any other? What good is the warranty if they just blame you for anything that goes wrong?

I learned my lesson the hard way.

Guest Don R

One would think that the material would be able to withstand a bit more abuse when shelling out that kind of dough. My Simms waders (I bought the least expensive Goretex ones) held up fine for a year of tough wading and then began to leak. I sent them back to Simms (thanks Joseph for helping me out with that) and they repaired them for free. All I paid for was the shipping.

It's got to be a bit frustrating (to put it mildly) when you can't see the supposed hole that "you" put in the waders.

I have seperate issue with Simms. I bought Simms wading boots earlier this year and I can't keep the rocks and shells from getting inside the boots. I have gravel gaurds (not built in to the waders) that I always wear. I'm lacing that boot up as tight as I can and I'm also wrapping the gravels guards around tightly.

I'm assuming it's the boots because I had Chota's wading boots last year (which I wore out in one year) and I was using the same waders and gravel guards with little to no rocks/shells getting in. I'm actually considering getting gravel gaurds for my gravel guards...sounds crazy..but what else can I do?

As far as wader care...make sure you turn them inside out as soon as you take them off. When the inside has dried then turn them back to rinse and hang dry. An occasional cleaning is also suggested with a mild detergant.

An occasional cleaning is also suggested with a mild detergant.

Guest One More Cast
In an effort to find a decent set of waders that would hold up better than what I had been getting, I bit the bullet and spent just shy of $400 on a set of Simms. Big mistake. They leaked right from the git-go. I sent them back and they told me it was my fault. It sure was my fault for wasting big bucks on a product that was no better than anything else around.

My advice to those wanting new waders. Save your money and buy 3 pair of Bass Pro, Cabela's or whatever brand of boots you like.

It just proves my point. There are 2 kinds of waders. Those that leak, and those that are going to leak. $400 waders aren't bullet, hook or thorn proof. It just hurts that much more when they do leak.

Bring them back, I'll deal with Simms.

Joseph

Guest One More Cast
By the way...on a lighter note.

Joseph, I loved your article in the latest Outdoor Notebook. Priceless.

If you ever need a hair stylist, I recommend Sofe.

She would make a good fishing partner as well. With her assests, (she is her own flotation device) she'll never drown. :lol:

Joseph

Scott ,

I quit buying big dollar waders because the didn't last more than a year . I search for closeout deals and such and buy a couple or three pair of decent waders over a couple years . Last pair I got was $50 LL Bean Flyweight rubber and I'm on the third year , knock on wood . I have never had a pair of waders last this long in my life .

Neoprenes never again , too hot to wear most of the year , attracts stickers and thorns and I got tired of women throwing money at me to stop doing the hootchie coo dance to get in them .

Breathables are nice but I never got a full year out of any brand I tried . Maybe because I put in in 150 trips or better a year . Shoot I bet they never got completely dry at any point .

Today , I started wet wading again so waders won't be an issue for a while . You can't beat the quick dry wading pants/shirt in warm weather .

Field work in breathables usually does them in after about a year. Neoprene is the same. The big rubber full body condoms might last a bit longer, but you'll be risking heat stroke.

Frankly, the best wader bargain I ever got was the 20$ rubber hip waders in the discount bin.

Even with my kamakazie habits in the field, they've not leaked over 2 years of use. Hmm..that's twenty years of wader use for one pair of Simms.

Scott ,

Today , I started wet wading again so waders won't be an issue for a while . You can't beat the quick dry wading pants/shirt in warm weather .

Amen brother!!! Naked is good too, that way you don't have to dry anything but.....nevermind!

Wow! That's a BITE about the waders.

A couple of tips I use for wader care.

I use TENT SEAM SEALER on potential leak areas periodically thur the season.

I have two lengths of PVC pipe mounted to plank The pipe has addition 1" hole in the side and an cap on the top end.

I slip my waders over the pipes into each leg and hanging upside down. The pipes are long enough so the chest wader com to about 6" from the floor. This offers air flow to allow moisture to drip out in this inverted position.

I don' wad or roll may waders when dry. I hang them and add a powder.

I've had little issue with Hodgeman or Orvis waders

To tell the truth I had to quit wading au natural account the mermaids wouldn't leave me alone . :rolleyes:

It may be heresy but take what's chewing . Channel cat , walleye and rock bass are chewing , smallies ain't .

Hijack over , back to the topic .

I'm glad I live on a flow where it is safe to wet wade . Tim is right about the heat in the rubber waders , even if you keep up the fluids on the water you still end up dehydrated unless you can pack a heck of a lot of water .

If I had to wear breathables during the summer I guess I would buy 3 pair of closeout deals and rotate them . Maybe they would last longer if they weren't being used 3 days a week or more .

How about wading boots , how long do yours last ?

I bought the light weight Simms waders and didn't have an issue with them for just about 3 years. Then, they leaked at the booty. I've been meaning to get them repaired, but I went to Orvis and bought their Pro Guide waders. After a year of fishing with them, I'm more pleased than ever that I spent the money. Orvis did not skimp anywhere in the construction and the booties fit like a......er.....glove. I've got a few Orvis products and have been extremely pleased with each and every item's quality.

I've bought 2 different boots: a Chota STL Plus and a Simms L2. I loved how the Chota's fit and their lacing systems, but the dang felt soles started to peal off before the year was out. I then bought the Simms L2 and after the second outing the light color layer which covers the outside of the boot started to peel. Within a month those boots looked like they had leprosy. Joseph was kind enough to send them to Simms (even though I didn't buy them from him :unsure: ) and got me a brand new pair. After a year of fishing this new pair, it appears the same peeling has started. My next boot will be an Orvis product...no doubt about it.

No more Simms products for me, Orvis all the way.

I'm going to keep this thread in mind when I decide to buy a pair of "good" waders. For now it's neoprene. For wet wading I have Keen's Newport H2 sandal with a neoprene sock to keep the junk out. Works great for me. It's a wading shoe then it's a hiking sandal.

I'm going to keep this thread in mind when I decide to buy a pair of "good" waders. For now it's neoprene. For wet wading I have Keen's Newport H2 sandal with a neoprene sock to keep the junk out. Works great for me. It's a wading shoe then it's a hiking sandal.

You "wet wade"?

Hope you only wet wade where it's "totally safe".