Lefty Kreh

Frank Briggs

We owe a lot to Lefty. He is up there with all some great outdoor writers like Ray Bergman, AJ McClane, and Tom McNally, all of whom kept my interest in fly fishing alive over the years. Lefty did so much that it is hard to put it all in a nutshell. He put it in his Bug.

Lefty’s Bug 27299390579_7d9aaa8d51_c.jpgLeftyBugOrig by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

Here’s what it says. This is a bug you can make yourself with easily obtained materials. Lefty came up with it when he was a guide on the Potomac. He needed a bug that beginners could handle and cast all day. You do not need a Black Belt in One Handed Skagit Casting to catch bass on this one. Fly fishing is for e everyone.

I forgot to mention that Lefty is also an internet star. A Google search will call up countless articles, blogs and videos. Recently I rediscovered the link to the classic video of Lefty tying his signature Deceiver, showing above.

I think this song fits.