This Tequeely for Ronnie

Rob G

I know that one of Ron K's favorite smallie patterns was the Tequeely fly and though I haven't ever fished them, I decided to tie up a couple last night from the materials I had on hand and you can bet they'll see some fishing time this upcoming year.  Hopefully I can land something that the man would have been proud of.

IMG_4026a.jpg

Cool, Rob, nice post. 

I haven't tie one yet, but i did start using Barr's Meat Whistle (from Cabelas) which Ron recommended.  It's a darn good fly.  I liked his practical selections for casting.  Don't recall that he was a fan of flies that resemble cat toys.  Maybe I am wrong about that.

Really, I am still kind of stunned that he is gone.  I only met him twice, I think, in person.  But I did read most of what he wrote.

John,

Ron and I were  supposed to fish together in MN come April.  I never heard him mention the black nose dace but I'll definitely tie up a couple for up there.  What do you think, on a size 8 or 10 streamer hook ?  The first time we ever fished together, we got out of the car, I went downstream and he was going to go upstream.  After a while I head back to the car and see that Ron hasn't moved very far at all and is catching trout after trout on dries.  I walk up to him and exclaim that I hadn't seen anything hatch all afternoon and didn't even think about tying on a dry for that reason.  He mentioned that he hadn't seen anything rising either but it was always worth a try, and lo and behold they couldn't help themselves. Ha

Ron toasting a good day fishing 

Ron Toasts a Great Day of Fishingxx.jpg

Nice ties Rob. And thanks for sharing a picture of Ron. 

Ron never smallmouth fish without a Tequeerie and a Meat Whistler.  In fact he mentioned about these 2 flies so much in his fishing reports that it served as a foundation of my success when I first started fly fishing for smallmouth and later served as a foundation of my development of the Foxy Craw.  A toss to you Ron! A Tequeerie & Meat Whistle and of cause follow up with a Gin & Tonic. 

I'll have a Gin & Tonic with you on that and what a nice gesture Tom.  Ron had a strong influence on a lot of us and I will cherish the fishing we did together including those Steelhead trips to Milwaukee the three of us made together and our talks at the coffee shop after a cold day on the water and drive home.