Ron Kurasz has Passed Away

Scott Ferguson

I sent Scott some additional pics for the Blowout slideshow, but here are a couple of my favorites that I thought a few others here would like to save. These are from ISA activities at Glenwood Forest Preserve in Batavia. The second one is pretty wide, so click to enlarge. 

ron1.png

ron-and-isa-crew.jpg

On 2/23/2018 at 5:28 PM, jude said:

Damn. He was the original lovable curmudgeon. I'm glad I got a little time on the water with him.

I agree. He made our Door County trip something to remember. Even if we couldn’t convince him that Mongolians hunt wolves with eagles.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I sent Scott some additional pics for the Blowout slideshow, but here are a couple of my favorites that I thought a few others here would like to save. These are from ISA activities at Glenwood Forest Preserve in Batavia. The second one is pretty wide, so click to enlarge. 

ron1.png

nice photo of Ron, the man had a lot of spunk for being 74, sad

3 hours ago, tgoodmanii said:

I agree. He made our Door County trip something to remember. Even if we couldn’t convince him that Mongolians hunt wolves with eagles.

At some point during our Door County trip a few years ago, we were talking about birds of prey. I brought up the fact that in Mongolia, they hunt wolves with Golden Eagles. Ron flat out shot me down.

No way.

Don't be stupid.

Ridiculous. 

We went back and forth for a good chunk of the day. He refused to buy it. Finally we get back to the hotel and I pull up a video of eagles hunting wolves. Ron watched without a word. The video ended, and I said "Do you believe me now?"   After a long pause he said,  "Yeah, but those were really small wolves."

I can’t say anything more than what has already been said here. I’ve never had the pleasure of sharing the water with Mr  Ron, but had some nice conversation at some of our events. 

Life is truly too short. I resolve to reach out to our membership to share time on the water. 

Godspeed RonK 

Damn. Damn....Damn. This is extremely sad and surprising news. Tom texted me today to let me know since I hadn't been on the forum in the past weeks. 

One of my earlier memories of Ron was a few years back, seeing him ambitiously navigating a rocky, flooded Wisconsin riverbank looking for Spring steelhead. I cringed a bit, but admired his determination despite his age. 

Ron was a phenomenal caster, and my overworking youngish arms envied the ease with which Ron could throw a line. 

Ron joined me and several others on a group trip to Belize last March, and insisted we fly down and back together on the same flights. We had a lot of great conversation during those hours together.  That week, Ron achieved his (and so many accomplished fly anglers') goal of catching a permit on fly on the flats. He was planning to return this month, a year later, to catch another, or more. 

I guess, reflecting on my experiences with Ron now, I bring these things up because the thread that connects them is this: Ron never quit.  Ron, to the end, never stopped setting goals and pushing himself as a fly angler. He didn't flyfish to be cool, but to constantly improve himself and have a good time in the process. I have nothing but respect for that. 

Also, Ron always had authentic hat game.

Ron was cool anyway. 

Belize_RonK permit.jpg

I invited Ron's brother, Alan, to the Blowout, he indicated he would love to be here to share in and listen to stories about Ron,  but unfortunately his work prevents him from being able to come this year.  He asked that we send him photographs of Ron that we put together.  I don't think Alan would mind if I share with you this tidbit from his email:

I can still remember when he was learning to fly fish.  He would be out in the middle of winter after a snowfall and would be practicing his casting across our front lawn and that of the neighbors (we lived at W 83rd St near Pulaski Ave in Chicago).  I am still amazed at the length of line that he could throw out and the accuracy.  i think he could land a fly in a coffee can at plus 50 yards.