Who's tying what?

Rob G

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 degrees and sunny, so I strung up a rod and went to a nearby pond in order to see how a few of the new flies would work.  That stealth bomber is going to kick some booty !  First hard strip, you get a nice gurgle and nice surface disturbance.  Continue stripping hard and it will dive maybe up to a foot  with a little shake, and then the beauty of when you stop stripping, it makes its way back to the top which will often illicit a strike.  Numerous short pops will leave a bubble trail on the surface, so it can offer several enticing looks.  Should be a greenie killer on the ponds and will see some action on the streams as well.

Mike, how did you tie in the foam above?

Thanks for the rundown on the stealth bomber. Hopefully mine will work as well.

Bob Clouser/Lefty Kreh Half &Half and Lefty's Deceiver. I have never fished a deceiver before. The half & half is one of my favorites for hybrid stripers. They have also accounted for some nice smallies. I decided to go natural with these.20180226_182619_resized.thumb.jpg.f2897bdf99822b741d3b3decd315bef5.jpg20180226_190840_resized.thumb.jpg.67faa0671ea5cd3404d8b5882f50e38e.jpg20180226_182817.thumb.jpg.a7b9b0ec563ffd6507569c3e93edbd5d.jpg

12 hours ago, Rob G said:

55 degrees and sunny, so I strung up a rod and went to a nearby pond in order to see how a few of the new flies would work.  That stealth bomber is going to kick some booty !  First hard strip, you get a nice gurgle and nice surface disturbance.  Continue stripping hard and it will dive maybe up to a foot  with a little shake, and then the beauty of when you stop stripping, it makes its way back to the top which will often illicit a strike.  Numerous short pops will leave a bubble trail on the surface, so it can offer several enticing looks.  Should be a greenie killer on the ponds and will see some action on the streams as well.

Mike, how did you tie in the foam above?

Dang! Mark the date, 2/26/18, first test flight of the Stealth Cougar. Pilot considers it combat ready. Rob, please give me credit as a design consultant. Now are you going to break the news to Kelly?

I will comment on tying the foam soon. I need to get a picture or two together.

John, that fly is always worth tying. for a long time there was a You Tube video of Lefty and Bob as a tag team tying the 1/2 &1/2. Sadly I can no longer find it. Maybe you and Rob could do one.

Back to comment on how I did the foam. Originally I could find only two decent flank feathers in the whole bag of Mallard that I had. So I did not want to mess up. First I rewatched  Woody's video on the Zoo Cougar a few times. Then I literally went to the drawing board to refine the template.  Though Edmonds' template had served to make several squadrons of Stealths for me,  I knew that it did not quite give me the diving collar to match the Cougar's. The sides of the triangle are set at too narrow of an angle. So I made a new template that set the sides at a 90 deg angle instead of the original 35 deg.  That worked well on the White Stealth. I even had to trim the collar back since it extended too far down.

You have the plans for the Atomic bug. Here is the template for the Stealth plane that goes with it.

40473850502_c402a38127.jpgStealth3-0greycw

The tie of the foam is pretty much the same as Edmonds' original, though I practically eliminated the loop reducing it to a bump about the size of a 1/2 a pea right behind the tie down point for the head.

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

John, that fly is always worth tying. for a long time there was a You Tube video of Lefty and Bob as a tag time tying the 1/2 &1/2. Sadly I can no longer find it. Maybe you and Rob could do one.

That video does seem to have disappeared.  That original method for tying them had the hackles clumped. These were tied with the hackles evenly spaced and splayed away from eachother (photo 2). I usually tie them the original way. 

39718278355_30dff283a4.jpgstealth18 by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

The #18 is great for big Smallmouths. Fish it on a 1 wt. to catch a bucket of 4-6" Creek Chubs. Usethe shubs on a medium spinning rod to cach the Smallmouths.

On a serious note. A good pattern is a good pattern. It can be scaled up and down to suit the fish you are after. Consider that the old classic Flatfish is still being made in sizes fron F-2 (1.0") to T60 (6.0"). Still catching.

Better pic?

38824019950_b94ba6448a.jpgStealth18c by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr