Flasher Help

Kev-mo

Not sure if this is better posted under Gear or Open Discussion...

Anyway, I have an older Hummingbird Flasher that I used to use for ice fishing and also on rental boats. I haven't used it in years... or charged the battery...

The battery is a zercom 12 volt, something you would use with the more modern ice fishing flashers.. I threw it on the charger last weekend for a couple days and according to the voltmeter it is charged. However the flasher won't run. The only other time the flasher would not work is when the battery wasn't charged enough. I'm wondering if the battery is shot even though it reads charged. Kind of like my car battery that needed replacing last week, the interior lights came on etc. but it wouldn't start the car.

Anybody have any thought/ideas? Anybody have a battery they know for sure works so I can test my theory? I suppose I could just buy a battery... really just want to see if the unit still works. Not sure when I'll actually use it again so don't really want to buy a battery and have that one go bad from sitting.

If the battery is several years old, it’s probably dead. I had the exact same thing happen with mine. Newer depth finders just shut off or won’t turn on if the voltage is even just a little low.  The big battery on my boat started the engine just fine but my depth finders would shut off every time I started the motor until I replaced the battery.  Batteries Plus has a great selection of SLA batteries.  They can probably test your old one for you as well.