Craft-Fur Muddler

Tom L

I have to apologize for not posting this earlier. I had mentioned about this fly several times the last 3 years in my fishing reports and had demoed a few times at various fly tying events; but I didn’t realize that I had not posted the recipe. Mark K had asked for the recipe recently, so I thought this is a good time to share. Happy tying!!!!

Craft-Fur MUDDLER

Hook: Daiichi 2546, Size# 2

Thread: Ultra Thread 140 for the body (color same as the craft-fur), GSP 100 for the head to spin deer hair

Tail: Craft-Fur

Wings: Pearl Flashabou, Craft-Fur, Silver Flashabou, Craft-Fur, Gold Flashabou, Craft-Fur

Belly: Red Krystal Flash (8-10 strands)

Collar & Head: Deer Hair (spun & clipped)

1. Tie on the craft-fur tail and coat the tail (the portion that is closest to the hook, approx. ¼” to ½” in length) with UV glue. Cue the UV glue to stiffen the tail.

2. Add 4-6 strands of pearl Flashabou wing.

3. Add craft-fur wing (approx. ½ pencil width).

4. Add 4-6 strands of silver Flashabou wing.

5. Add craft-fur wing (approx. ½ pencil width).

6. Add 4-6 strands of gold Flashabou wing.

7. Add craft-fur wing (approx. ½ pencil width).

​8. Add 8-10 strands of red Krystal Flash belly.

9. Whip-finish the Ultra Thread and change the thread to GSP, ready to spin deer-hair collar and head.

10. Spin the deer-hair collar (approx. 1 pencil width).

11. Spin the deer-hair head (approx. 1 pencil width) and whip-finish.

12. Clip the head and collar to shape.

13. Clip the tail to length (approx. 2-3 x the hook length) and shape.

2egb4go.jpg

96ma6w.jpg

2lxicrd.jpg

2304na.jpg

24lpsnk.jpg

2w7l1li.jpg

2zhejr5.jpg

2igd2d2.jpg

2r7oqrb.jpg

I see you used TinyPic. Was that where you were having problems? Since I am migrating there, I would appreciate any tips.

TinyPic is owned by Photobucket and I wouldn't trust those SOB's for anything after what they did earlier this year when they went "nuclear" and tried to extort $400 from each user.

Nicely done Tom.

I see you used TinyPic. Was that where you were having problems? Since I am migrating there, I would appreciate any tips.

In the past, I usually uploaded the pictures from my computer direct to the ISA site without going thru a third party. But as of late, this method has been returning errors and the pictures would not upload. Scott suggested to use TinyPic, so I gave it a try. This is my first time using them. It is easy enough that I could do it in one or two tries.

In the past, I usually uploaded the pictures from my computer direct to the ISA site without going thru a third party. But as of late, this method has been returning errors and the pictures would not upload. Scott suggested to use TinyPic, so I gave it a try. This is my first time using them. It is easy enough that I could do it in one or two tries.

One of the things i like about Flickr is that I can upload full resolution images then if I want to share them I can select what size- and they give a LOT of choices. It's also a social media site so people follow you and you follow them. Mostly a photography thing, but still pretty cool. Once in a while you get strange followers, with no images of their own, no bio and no personal pic. I block those.