Eric

Topwater bat

Let me start this by clearly stating, I am a sucker for lures. I see a lure I like, I get it. Don't care if it's a gimmick or not. The truly obsessed call it "collecting." Count me in! My "collection" is taking up my whole utility room. If only I had the time to fish 'em all!

I've taken a liking to Savage Gear lately, mainly through my youngest son's eyes and appreciation for bass fishing. The "fishing bug" has hit him hard this year, and he's wanting to spend every minute down at our neighborhood ponds chasing largemouth.

This past weekend I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Schaumburg and picked up a whole bunch of Savage Gear topwater lures. One of the "neater" ones I got was a topwater bat. I got the all-black one -- it looks more scary! It works kind of like the old Heddon Crazy Crawler. We haven't fished it yet. It's on the "big" side. Late night at a clear strip pit would be perfect...

http://savage-gear.com/product/3d-bat-2/

Savage Gear has a new line of smaller topwaters called Lily Ninja. I got a few of their field mice, frogs, and even a tiny mallard duck with little waggling webbed feat. This is totally different than their "Suicide Duck" lure. It's more like a Scum Frog but looks like an adult mallard duck (they called it a "fruck", i.e. frog-duck). I had to get it. It just looked "cute." Brent fished it Saturday night and got a big blowup on it. He missed the fish ... too much slack in the line and a weak hookset. But he is learning! He doesn't like the river as much as Grant does. He likes still-water bass fishing, so our time is mostly spent combing the lily pads for active largemouth.

http://savage-gear.com/product/3d-hollow-body-duckling-k-fruck/

I saw some of those at Dicks when I was picking up a whopper plopper. They looked like they were designed more to catch fisherman than fish. Based on that and the price tag, I took a pass. I'm sure put in the right locations at the right time they could catch fish.

Their frogs, mice and "frucklings" are pretty much standard sizes and competitors to others on the market. Some of their bigger lures are crazy. I got the suicide duck and 3D bat to try at places like McGraw late night. Would make for some fun photos and stories!

So far the little field mouse works well for our pond LM.

"...mimics to perfection how a little bat swims."

This didn't seem right to me. They fly with both wings flapping in unison. Why wouldn't they swim the same way? So I google "swimming bat". No, it does not "mimic to perfection" how a little bat swims. Bats swim like they fly. A breast stroke as opposed to the freestyle action of the lure. I'm sure it works, but why the B.S.?

They probably figure most folks won't know any better, or won't really care. They'll just see it as a novelty and toss it in their basket. That's kinda what I did. I was always kinda fascinated with bats. When we dissected bullfrogs back in high school, someone's frog had a freakin' bat in it's stomach! And this was WAY before frogs could lookup the actual movements of bats on YouTube!

I tried it out today. OMG, awesome topwater action! I have the smallest of the bat models. I could catch smallmouth on it for sure! It's nice and "rattley" too!

I tried it out today. OMG, awesome topwater action! I have the smallest of the bat models. I could catch smallmouth on it for sure! It's nice and "rattley" too!

can't wait!

The Rat is awesome, made by Spro, picked up one this spring the action on that thing is unbelievable and some how it gives off a glow in the water especially in stained water but not sure how it does it though. Do you have a vip to McGraw or what, pm me the password for that place, I owe it one, got skunked there earlier this year, did not think it was possible.

PM me if you ever want to learn specifics or tips on that place.

My goal is to bust a Fox River smallmouth with the 3-D bat. It WILL happen!

PM me if you ever want to learn specifics or tips on that place.

My goal is to bust a Fox River smallmouth with the 3-D bat. It WILL happen!

I thougtht you turned your PM thing off years ago, something guys wanting your spots or giving your a hard time I forgot our conversation