Piscifun fly reel

John Gillio

I have not fished their reels but see them continually pumped by "prostaff" on a few sites. The one casting reel I handled did not impress me at all. For how inexpensive you can get a decent fly reel like a Redington Surge, I would stick with a commonly available commercial reel.

I was wondering if anyone has been using a Piscifun fly reel for a few seasons, and what your thoughts are on them.

The sword in particular.

Ron, has yours held up well?

I have the Blaze model and yes it's doing fine. While probably not for heavy duty freshwater species steelhead coho salmon etc it will otherwise be a good freshwater reel.Give one a try.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Ran into this old post and thought I’d give an update. I went with the sword and have been very glad I did. I have the 5wt model and it is my go to reel. It has handled numerous fish in the 20” to 36” range over the past 4 yrs, as well as countless smaller fish. The drag has held up well and the finish still looks like new even though it has been dropped a couple of times and is often set on the rocks. Reviews on this reel, and some of their other fly reels, have continued to be good over the yrs. Not sure how good their other products are but their fly reels appear to be a good buy.

May I also suggest this reel if you are looking for a good value with a trusted brand name and an excellent conical drag.  This series  is available in a 3.34" and 3.61" diameter version for only $69.  And for $50 more, you can get a couple spare spools.

https://www.sierra.com/waterworks-lamson-liquid-5-plus--freshwater-fly-reel-6wt~p~37guv/?filterString=reels-lines-and-flies~d~10716%2Fwaterworks-lamson~b~36057%2C36057%2F#specsSection

waterworks-lamson-liquid-5-plus--freshwater-fly-reel-6wt-in-see-photo_p_37guv_99_460.3.jpg

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

May I also suggest this reel if you are looking for a good value with a trusted brand name and an excellent conical drag.  This series  is available in a 3.34" and 3.61" diameter version for only $69.  And for $50 more, you can get a couple spare spools.

https://www.sierra.com/waterworks-lamson-liquid-5-plus--freshwater-fly-reel-6wt~p~37guv/?filterString=reels-lines-and-flies~d~10716%2Fwaterworks-lamson~b~36057%2C36057%2F#specsSection

waterworks-lamson-liquid-5-plus--freshwater-fly-reel-6wt-in-see-photo_p_37guv_99_460.3.jpg

I agree, I have one of those too. I don’t think it has a sealed drag though. The Piscifun Sworddoesn’t either. I have seen both listed as top reels for under $100. The sword is often under $50.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:13 PM, Rob G said:

My only complaint with the Lamson, is I wish the spool had a nicer handle.  Anyone here a wood worker with a really nice lathe or CNC machining capability.  Ha

I have a few of their higher end reels and I have the same issue with the reel handle.