This is not a political discussion

11 hours ago, Rob G said:

Thanks Ed for posting that story about my local waters.    Don't be simple minded and think this problem is due to the current administration in the White House.  It's been brewing for almost two decades.  I and my fellow river walkers knew it was coming a long long time ago.   This stems from the large corporate utilities that have your state and local politicians in their pocket.  I could fill this page with my disappointments in the way this has all been handled but I won't.  For those that don't know, there are three branches to the Lower Vermilion River that I fish all the time.  Years ago, a "spill" of extremely toxic alkaline agents near the U of I destroyed all life, not just an incredible smallie population but all life in the Salt Fork branch.  It's taken 10 years to finally start producing again.  Then 2 years ago, the same river gets hit by a farm fertilizer/manure spill, although not as devastating, it's rebuilding time.  But this problem with the Middle Fork branch, this is the big one, a gift that is going to keep on giving for years and years to come, all the while Springfield and Dynegy fiddle.  And what the map above doesn't show is the 2nd area further south that is also beginning to fail.  The cost of the clean up will be staggering. 

Believe me, Rob I have no illusions as to how  far back these problems go nor just who is to blame. Money talks and big money talks the loudest.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to hijack this thread but for those who live locally to the lower Vermilion River:

Government Office Building, 6 N Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832

There will be a  meeting with the County Board on Tuesday, February 13, at 6pm. PLEASE SHARE this modification with others you know are interested or who had planned to attend. The Board remains interested in this update and has graciously agreed to the new date. Thanks!

Join Pam and Lan Richart Tuesday, February 13 at 6pm to show support for removing coal ash from the floodplain of the Middle Fork of the Vermilion River. 

The County Board has asked for an update on Dynegy's plans. The Richarts will talk about:
• Dynegy's summer tours. 
• EJC's response to those tours.
• The accelerated rates of erosion next to the two oldest ash pits.
• Complications associated with stabilizing riverbanks.
• Dynegy's timeline and proposed alternatives for closing the ash pits.
• EJC's plan to hold a public hearing in the coming months.

Please share this event (and February date) with friends and colleagues. County Board members need to know their constituents want to see the National Scenic River protected without incurring costs or risks from Dynegy's preferred "cap and leave" solution.

Thank you for hijacking this thread. 

If it was political, I would have to report it for crowing about how the Tweeter and Chief was delivering on his campaign promise to reduce regulations on businesses. In that context, fewer IL EPA reports  to the States Attorney is a victory for the Tweeter, and our Gov gets an Attaboy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

There is a large elephant in the room................................................ don't ignore it.

• 3 months later...