This is not a political discussion

I know several dozen I'd like to eradicate...

Edit; I know that's not the answer. Just so flipping angry at the complete and utter idiocracy along with being scared they are really going to screw something up really, really bad.

Understood.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not supposed to be a political discussion. I'm sorry but forum rules do not allow us to use the forum to bash politicians. Laws concerning our environment are important topics for discussion but let's keep the opinions concerning those who make the laws off of here.

It's a moot point.

Sooner than later, you aren't going to have any environmental laws to discuss. Back to the old days, not all that long ago.

213-2.jpg

Thus the title of my post. Plenty of places for political discussions where people can go nuts. I was looking for this to really be abut the envoirnment and just some awareness and possible links to help our cause. I am happy that with five pages of posts so far, with people weighing in with thoughts and discussions without the anger etc.

I obviously shouldn't have made the first comment the way I did but I fail to see how saying someone is an idiot in my last comment for trying to destroy the environment is any different from saying something like "the douche baggery runs deep". I really don't see how saying that for trying to destroy the environment is political anyhow because it doesn't matter what party they're from if they do something to hurt our resources it's not good. I would say the exact same thing about someone throwing out garbage along the side of the road or leaving worm containers on the ground after fishing somewhere. Not trying to be political, just expressing frustration with what's happening but this isn't the place for that. That said Jim I'm sorry and will refrain from any venting going forward.

I obviously shouldn't have made the first comment the way I did but I fail to see how saying someone is an idiot in my last comment for trying to destroy the environment is any different from saying something like "the douche baggery runs deep". I really don't see how saying that for trying to destroy the environment is political anyhow because it doesn't matter what party they're from if they do something to hurt our resources it's not good. I would say the exact same thing about someone throwing out garbage along the side of the road or leaving worm containers on the ground after fishing somewhere. Not trying to be political, just expressing frustration with what's happening but this isn't the place for that. That said Jim I'm sorry and will refrain from any venting going forward.

Sorry, I must have missed the post you quoted. I fixed that. I am as exasperated as anyone over what's going on. I'm a person who has never been political at all. Last month, I was marching outside a congressman's office protesting a number of issues! He wasn't even my congressman! Our representatives need to know how we feel. If they vote contrary to their constituents opinions, they risk losing their jobs.

I get where Jim and Scott are going. Some...most of the other fishing forums are trashy and nasty. You guys are relative new commers. A long time ago this forum and the club in a way evolved out of a "calm heads prevail" attitude and in general guys being reasonably respectful to each other. i personally had to get off Facebook, because I began to really dislike people I thought previously were pretty cool. You don't want that happening.

Most of the guys I run into that label themselves as "sportsman" (WTF does that mean anyway??) also have "conservative". leanings. I have seen these guys in person sweat their asses off, as in hard physical work for the local environment. That's no lie. I kind of doubt that they like the idea of pollution happening and public lands disappearing.

On the other hand, almost every single issue on here, most significantly the efforts to defund and dismantle the EPA and that would not be happening had the recent elections gone the way they did. It's also going thru with a level of speed and impunity, that is pretty amazing. it's that simple, and if you are surprised about it, then, plain and simple you have not been following politics, because this situation is a wet dream for some those guys and their contributors and they were not quiet about it. When you look at this objectively, they are really doing what they said they were going to.

I guess you can "raise awareness" on these issues, but on a certain level, you really shouldn't dance around why they are happening. It's 100% politics and money and right now, it's a done deal. You can vent about it, but really it's going do be difficult to impossible to stop anything now.

When a democratic party is in office, natural resources tend to get a break. When a republican party is in office, they typically are not getting a break.

5 pages summed up in one sentence.

This isn't news to anybody.

Just the same with other issues people vote their party into.

Partisan lines are pretty clear.

When a democratic party is in office, natural resources tend to get a break. When a republican party is in office, they typically are not getting a break.

5 pages summed up in one sentence.

This isn't news to anybody.

Just the same with other issues people vote their party into.

Partisan lines are pretty clear.

multiple choice question:

"A tree is a tree. How many more do you have to look at?"

The author of this quotation was:

A. A Republican Governor at the time.

B. A Democratic Governor at the time.

Hint: this was before Twitter.

multiple choice question:

"A tree is a tree. How many more do you have to look at?"

The author of this quotation was:

A. A Republican Governor at the time.

B. A Democratic Governor at the time.

Hint: this was before Twitter.

Sorry for the double post stupid sensitive phone lol...the answer is Ronald Reagan talking about the redwoods in California...

I think this discussion has shown admirable restraint in not naming names. On the other hand if you want to engage our politicians you need to know those that wish to do the most harm. If you want to write these people here is a good start. http://www.ecowatch.com/privatize-public-lands-2317119748.html

I think this discussion has shown admirable restraint in not naming names. On the other hand if you want to engage our politicians you need to know those that wish to do the most harm. If you want to write these people here is a good start. http://www.ecowatch.com/privatize-public-lands-2317119748.html

[/quote

As I see it the privatization of our public lands is the biggest environmental threat we face.If we don't like what the Republicans now in power are doing we have the opportunity to eventually throw the bums out and hopefully undo the harm they wrought. But once lost public lands are lost forever.An example of this is happening right now in Belize where Leonardo DiCaprio has purchased one of the biggest islands in the Caribbean with apparent plans to turn it into a mini Las Vegas much to the concern of most of the local population.

• 3 months later...

One for our side

Whatever the driving force, the backlash to legislation from Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) that would have sold off 3.3 million acres of public land in 10 Western states was swift and fierce. Outrage erupted on Facebook and Twitter, advocacy groups urged supporters to bombard their congressional representatives’ phone lines, and a petition opposing the sale or transfer of public lands drew tens of thousands of signatures.

Less than two weeks after introducing the controversial bill, Chaffetz pulled it, citing concerns from his constituents. Advocates fighting to protect public lands celebrated it as a victory.

“The first takeaway is that the squeaky wheel still gets the grease,” said Land Tawney, the president and CEO of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, a Montana-based nonprofit dedicated to protecting public lands and preserving America’s tradition of hunting and fishing.

BHA is an amazing organization that does a lot of good when it comes to public land management, public access to fishing and hunting areas, and environmental work. They are an organization worth joining if you have concerns about clean water and wildlife habitat on a national level.

I'm afraid there's not much that can be done until the 2018 elections when hopefully we can begin throwing the members of this travesty of an administration out. If it was ever true it certainly is no longer that there's no difference between Democrats and republicans now that the latter feel they have the political muscle to finally show their true colors.If in the future elections the American public stands still for what 's been happening than they (we) deserve what is gotten.

Ok Scott. The last thing I'll say is other than voting we can join and support national and local environmental; organizations such as The Nature Consevancy,The Alliance For The Great Lakes,The Sierra Club etc.The SC is very proactive as you'll learn if you join.

Ron, the ISA has policy of no political discussions on the forums. Your last post is dancing on the edge of being deleted. Please, let's keep politics off these fishing forums.

Just curious. It dawned on me the other the day, the ISA has non profit status right? and as I understand it, non-profits (like churches) can't back political candidates and maintain that status. i won't pretend that I understand all that, is that correct? So is that the reasoning for that policy? Or am I totally off base and it is it just to avoid endless bickering over politics completely unrelated to conservation of Illinois smallmouth and their habitats. I get that for sure. Who needs that headache?

Or is it a combination of the two or another reason.

How do you exactly define a "political discussion"? Who decides this, and how?