This is not a political discussion

Mark, we are incorporated as a 501©7, social club. That is different from a not-for-profit 501©3. There are a lot of extra rules that not for profits have to abide by that would have changed a lot of what we would have been allowed to do. Plus, there was never any of our officers who were willing to put in all the extra time required.

As far as political discussions here on the forums, you are right, we keep them off to avoid bickering. As long as no one is bashing either Republicans or Democrats, as a moderator, I'm going to allow most other discussions. We used to have more moderators but the others have retired and we haven't had the need to replace them yet.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, we are incorporated as a 501©7, social club. That is different from a not-for-profit 501©3. There are a lot of extra rules that not for profits have to abide by that would have changed a lot of what we would have been allowed to do. Plus, there was never any of our officers who were willing to put in all the extra time required.

As far as political discussions here on the forums, you are right, we keep them off to avoid bickering. As long as no one is bashing either Republicans or Democrats, as a moderator, I'm going to allow most other discussions. We used to have more moderators but the others have retired and we haven't had the need to replace them yet.

TU is 501 C3, not sure why i thought ISA was.

That makes sense. Nothing good is going to come out of political debates on a fishing site and I totally get what you are saying.

"bashing" is defined as "severe criticism". In the next few years as these issues come up and articles like the the TU one on the Clean Water Rule, a "certain person's" name is likely to be attached to it in some way. I don't really see that as constituting "bashing". Do you?

Since the current Administration views the environment as just another commodity to monetize and wants to reverse 50 years of environmental progress by turning the EPA in to a shill for the oil and coal industries perhaps what we need here is more "political" discussion. We could call it "pro-environment" or "earth-friendly" as to not offend anyone.

Since the current Administration views the environment as just another commodity to monetize and wants to reverse 50 years of environmental progress by turning the EPA in to a shill for the oil and coal industries perhaps what we need here is more "political" discussion. We could call it "pro-environment" or "earth-friendly" as to not offend anyone.

The tricky part is in political discussion is not preaching to the choir with people who agree with you and not bickering with people who don't. Real discussion. Don't happen much these days.

The tricky part is in political discussion is not preaching to the choir with people who agree with you and not bickering with people who don't. Real discussion. Don't happen much these days.

I'll drink to that.

That's like arguing over the best color tube or what type of line is best . In all my years on line I don't think i have seen any one's mind changed in those let alone political or religious discussions , It's pointless in the long run .

I am on the side of those who disagree with the changes being wrought in the environmental protections . I just don't see how putting someone down who disagrees accomplishes anything positive .

If want want to do something positive take the time to actually write a real letter and mail it to your lawmakers . I have found over the decades that doing so makes more of an impression on them , especially these days when so many send e-mails . Many times I have got a letter back , sometimes it's the same thank you for your interest you get in e-mail blow offs . There have been enough where they actually explain their position that leads me to believe that they take actual letters more seriously .

I remember when Mike at one of his websites offered a prize for anyone who sent a copy of a letter concerning environmental concerns to a lawmaker . As I remember it, he never gave away a single prize . I was excluded from the contest as he already knew that I did so . Not that it bothered me now or then, what bothered me was no one got a prize, sure that bothered him just as much if not more .

My tactics were to meet with a legislator right on the river.

Like the senator who wanted to ban lead in fishing.

We had pie and coffee overlooking the Kankakee. Took me about 20 minutes to change her mind with thoughtful, reasonable and professional discussion.

That also works Mike . I have also found it beneficial over the years to establish a good relationship with legislative assistants . Many times they are the ones deciding who gets access to the legislator . Well, unless you have big time political clout .

I came to the meeting with information regarding the effects of lead on wildlife, and the fact that it is mainly loons...that have a flyway in a very remote northwest portion of IL.

I proposed that the ISA and IDNR team up to educate first, rather than penalize for something not based on science as it applies here. We did just that. Remember all the lead alternatives I acquired and gave them away at the Blowout on a conservation table dedicated to such.

"I recently met with Mike Clifford and Don Rego from the Illinois

Smallmouth Alliance (ISA). Mike Clifford is the Conservation Director

of and on the Executive Board of ISA. Mr. Clifford and I discussed

the interests of fishing groups and the intent of the legislation.

After meeting with Mr. Clifford, I have decided to pursue a statewide

education program regarding lead weights as an alternative to the full

ban. I look forward to working with the stakeholders involved and

incorporating your interests in order to create a meaningful education

program.

Below, please find the statements from Mike Clifford at the Illinois

Smallmouth Alliance.

Sincerely,

Heather A. Steans

State Senator

7th District"

She submitted the bill on a Monday, on Tuesday she called me to apologize that she had forgotten that somebody in government strongly suggested she speak with myself and the ISA before doing so. We had never spoken previously. I arranged the meeting for that afternoon.

On Wednesday morning, she pulled the bill.

I'll drink to that.

In the grand scheme of things Gordon, you are correct and unfortunately I think they have won this battle. It's already pretty much game over, maybe for a generation or two,. Money pretty much controls everything. Did you ever read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayne Rand? she talks about the the dollar sign " $" being basically the letters "U.S" laid on top of each other. When I read it I thought it was whacky, but the older I get, when it comes to pretty much any issue in politics all you have to do is "follow the money".

I'll drink to that.

In the grand scheme of things Gordon, you are correct and unfortunately I think they have won this battle. It's already pretty much game over, maybe for a generation or two,. Money pretty much controls everything. Did you ever read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayne Rand? she talks about the the dollar sign " $" being basically the letters "U.S" laid on top of each other. When I read it I thought it was whacky, but the older I get, when it comes to pretty much any issue in politics all you have to do is "follow the money".

I have not read "Atlas Shrugged" but another scenario that seems possible is "The Handmaids Tale" by Margaret Atwood. That's a good, if frightening, read. Fiction, for now.

• 6 months later...

Seems to me that the ISA needs to focus on this kind of regressive policy both on a local and national level.  You can't catch dead fish. The current lack of concern by our government(s) on the environment and the attempts to rollback regulations on pollutants is alarming,  We all need to be involved one way or another.

10 minutes ago, gordon p said:

Seems to me that the ISA needs to focus on this kind of regressive policy both on a local and national level.  You can't catch dead fish. The current lack of concern by our government(s) on the environment and the attempts to rollback regulations on pollutants is alarming,  We all need to be involved one way or another.

Thanks for that post.

Thanks Ed for posting that story about my local waters.    Don't be simple minded and think this problem is due to the current administration in the White House.  It's been brewing for almost two decades.  I and my fellow river walkers knew it was coming a long long time ago.   This stems from the large corporate utilities that have your state and local politicians in their pocket.  I could fill this page with my disappointments in the way this has all been handled but I won't.  For those that don't know, there are three branches to the Lower Vermilion River that I fish all the time.  Years ago, a "spill" of extremely toxic alkaline agents near the U of I destroyed all life, not just an incredible smallie population but all life in the Salt Fork branch.  It's taken 10 years to finally start producing again.  Then 2 years ago, the same river gets hit by a farm fertilizer/manure spill, although not as devastating, it's rebuilding time.  But this problem with the Middle Fork branch, this is the big one, a gift that is going to keep on giving for years and years to come, all the while Springfield and Dynegy fiddle.  And what the map above doesn't show is the 2nd area further south that is also beginning to fail.  The cost of the clean up will be staggering. 

Oh, but then there is this:  https://grist.org/article/scott-pruitt-suspends-obama-era-clean-water-rule-for-two-years/  

Don't fool yourself, this is the most anti-environment Administration ever.

Gordon, I'm no lover of the Trumpster, but our state is owned and controlled by the Democrats, this problem was actually first reported to authorities well before 2012, it's now over 6 years later and there still kicking the can around.  Plenty of blame to go around for both parties.  

There is a saying that explains why the Japanese auto industry beat the tar out of the American Big Three in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

"The Japanese fix the problem; the Americans fix the blame."