This is not a political discussion

The senate e voted 54-45 to scrap a rule designed to limit the dumping of mining waste in local waterways. The Stream Protection Rule was put in place by the Department of the Interior in the final days of the Obama administration, tightening standards for contamination of water and restoration of streams damaged by mining operations. The House approved the rollback Wednesday.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was thinking about posting this. Incredibly disappointing and maddening. Time for all of us to make our voices heard in whatever way we can.

I know nothing more about this but what was pasted above,...So the conditions of our streams at this moment in time, have had nothing to do with these new provisions since they were never enacted. Why were they not put into place in O's first 8 years rather than waiting on his way out the door?

On 2/2/2017 at 11:20 PM, Rob G. said:

I know nothing more about this but what was pasted above,...So the conditions of our streams at this moment in time, have had nothing to do with these new provisions since they were never enacted. Why were they not put into place in O's first 8 years rather than waiting on his way out the door?

Right.

I've been dealing with this and the EPA for 7 years.... >

Right.

I've been dealing with this and the EPA for 7 years.... >screen.jpg

Yea I never posted political stuff since our forums are really not the place for that. And now considering the vitriol that is happening it's really not. I appreciate the comments that are conservation in nature.

we have had lots of discussions about conservation and clean water etc. and I was putting this up with that in mind.

Terry,

don't get me started about the EPA office out of Springfield. I'm not so sure they really care about our river and stream quality, since they move at the pace of a tortoise and seem far more concerned with their attorneys milking as many hours as possible from a project on the taxpayers dime. Unfortunately my views are tainted from two incidents that occurred on my Salt Fork river and a coal mining operation that presently wants to go in nearby.

Terry,

don't get me started about the EPA office out of Springfield. I'm not so sure they really care about our river and stream quality, since they move at the pace of a tortoise and seem far more concerned with their attorneys milking as many hours as possible out a project on the taxpayers dime. Unfortunately my views are tainted from two incidents that occurred on my Salt Fork river and a coal mining operation that presently wants to go in nearby.

I feel the same with Kilbuck Creek.

I am doing my best here to bite my tongue but I fear that as much as we want to avoid political rancor this is, ultimately, a political discussion. I will repeat what I said earlier, we must all be willing to make our voices heard whenever those that seem to place no value in the natural world seek to destroy it. We are all guardians of the waterways.

My wife just informed me that a bill is being drafted that, if passed, will dismantle the EPA by 2018. If this is true, I'm not sure it would be a good thing. It scares me more than a bit.Thoughts?

Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida’s 1st CD has only been in Congress for a month, but he’s eager to make his mark. He’s drafting a bill that would abolish the Environmental Protection Agency entirely and has sent an email to some of his House colleagues seeking co-sponsors:

“Our small businesses cannot afford to cover the costs associated with compliance, too often leading to closed doors and unemployed Americans,” Gaetz wrote. “It is time to take back our legislative power from the EPA and abolish it permanently.” [...]

“Today, the American people are drowning in rules and regulations promulgated by unelected bureaucrats,” Gaetz said, “and the Environmental Protection Agency has become an extraordinary offender.” [...]

“As conservatives, we must understand that states and local communities are best positioned to responsibly regulate the environmental assets within their jurisdictions,” Gaetz said. “This legislation abolishes the EPA effective December 31, 2018, to allow our state and local government partners to implement responsible policies in the interim.”

Thus it begins

The
Local Enforcement for Local Lands Act
(H.R. 622), introduced by Utah's Republican congressman Jason Chaffetz, would fire every law enforcement officer for the Bureau of Land Management and US Forest Service. In their stead, local police units, such as sheriff's departments, would manage millions of acres of land they were never trained to protect. Not only are human lives potentially at risk, but the wild places that generate billion of dollars in annual revenue are as well.

Compared to other proposed legislation, H.R. 622 is subtler in its attempts to destabilize public land ownership. [...]

[it] is a long-con, and dovetails with this administration's hostility toward federal oversight. According to conservationists who oppose it, the bill could embolden acts of extremism from anti-government and anti-public lands militias. The skirmishes we saw at
Malheur National Wildlife Refuge
in Oregon, or Nevada's
Gold Butte
, for example, are just a taste of what may lie ahead.

The Sierra Club is organizing a march on April 29th.While focusing on the issue of climate change anyone concerned with the environmental assaults fostered by Trump's administration should try to attend the march.We all need to stand in defense of our Mother.

I agree with Gordon that conservation is all about politics, but the way I have approached ISA conservation matters as the group's Conservation Director has never been from a partisan role.

I can't stress enough how important it is to not only fight in the big arena, but save some of that energy to be involved in our local watersheds.

"Be the change you'd like to see in the world"

The ISA will afford you with all the opportunities you can stand to make that happen.