Craft Fur- All Created Equal?

Mark K

Mark,

the craft fur you can buy today from most fly fishing shops will likely be Hareline's Extra Select Craft fur and you will find it to be much longer, thicker and better suited to tie larger streamers than craft fur you might find at Hobby Lobby and similar stores. Unfortunately the finest craft fur that I used to buy many years ago was of higher quality than you can find today, came in colors no longer available, and it was much less expensive, at about half the cost because the pieces were so large. It went by the name Foxx Fur and Doug's Bugs Craft Fur Plus. Several years ago, they quit selling it and I scoured the internet trying to find some left overs and found a California fly shop going out of business and bought their remaining stock of the colors that I frequently use. I purchased more than a lifetime supply and if you're in need of some of the colors that I have available, let me know.

Rob

Mike, let me check when I get home this evening.

Rich,

unless the Punisher has changed, which it very well may have since it's been years since I purchased any, their hair was much shorter and a smaller piece making it more expensive. Also it was a lot more coarse than what I like to use, as I prefer the more silky that moves and undulates in the water better. Your needs may differ.

Mike, Not sure if your box is full or not but I tried sending you a PM, but it wouldn't take.

The colors I think I have in excess are white, black, Adams gray, and chartreuse but I need to check for sure. These are twice the size of the standard Hareline pieces.

Rob

Rod,

As always you are write. Thanks for the notice that my bocks was full. I emptied a few to make rheum. Now I knead a clean X.

Thanks for the note on your available color. I am well stocked in those.

Mark,

BTW rich and I have explored outside the box of standard flytying colors and fly brands by dipping into the inventory of Distinctive Fabricks. http://www.distinctivefabric.com/long-pile-faux-fur/huskyfur1.htmlThere are some patterns that work well on flies like the Husky Fur.

cc5006ba5e454ffc78dc99a2e45a45de_2.png

I made this Crappie imitation by cutting "bunny" strips from the swatch.

DSCF1179.jpg

DF sells sample swatches roughly 4" x 5" that give you enough for a lot of flies. Keep it in mind if you get bored of solid colored

fake fur.

• 2 weeks later...