M&M

Tom L

M&M, as in Marabou and Mylar tube.

I was sorting thru a box of old flies and came across one of the unfinished experimental flies with missing eyes. But I ran out of crazy glue to attach the eyes, so I used Clear Cue Glue instead. When the CCG touched the Mylar tube, it turned simmering and translucent. I went "Whoa!!!!! That is pretty cool."

The fly consists of only 2 plumes of marabou feathers - one for the belly and one for the back - and Mylar tube for the simmering belly. The red spots that you see are just a touch of red marker on the Mylar tube to give a hot spot, a gill, or an injure.

post-1339-0-44278900-1484581266_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-21491900-1484581290_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-40325500-1484581342_thumb.jpg

Tom,

do you tie in your marabou the full length of the shank, slide your mylar tubing over the shank and tie it down in the rear and then near the eye of the hook? Then slap on the eyes and cover with glue? Do you have to wrap the shank with anything to keep the mylar tube from collapsing? I've not spent a lot of time working with the stuff and may I ask what size tubing you used.

Thanks, Rob

Tom,

do you tie in your marabou the full length of the shank, slide your mylar tubing over the shank and tie it down in the rear and then near the eye of the hook? Then slap on the eyes and cover with glue? Do you have to wrap the shank with anything to keep the mylar tube from collapsing? I've not spent a lot of time working with the stuff and may I ask what size tubing you used.

Thanks, Rob

Yes, Rob. Almost exactly as you described, only minor different is that one marabou goes inside the tube and the other goes over the outside to give a more contrasting back. The marabou inside the tube has enough bulk to keep it from collapsing. Also you can fold the excess marabou double over the shank instead of trimming it away to get extra bulk.

The Mylar that I used was from Cabela's: 1/8", pearl.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fly-fishing/fly-tying/synthetics|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103889880/mylar-piping/709635.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsynthetics%2F_%2FN-1100437%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103889880

Have fun tying.