Anybody rod building?

Gregg S

Every winter I seem to get obsessed with something while waiting for spring.

This year I think I would like to build one or more rods. I've looked at the kits on Mudhole.com, but am a little concerned about just watching a video and diving in for fear of having an expensive but poorly made rod.

Anybody doing this?

Anybody know someone that might not mind helping?

I probably would be happy to pay for a lessen. Advise me.

Gregg

Gregg, I would be more than happy to help in any way I can. My first piece of advice would be, don't spend a ton of money on your first blank and rod build since it is always a learning experience. In the end, it will likely fish just fine but aesthetically, it might not meet your standards. Mudhole is OK but there are less expensive blanks and kits that you can start with such Janns Netcraft, Hook and Hackle and others. I do agree with you, videos are great but sometimes, hands on can be a better teacher. Btw, there are several fine rod builders on this forum such Timothy T, Jim Z and Johnny G.

If you are at all handy, go ahead. Th basic process is simple. I have built several in the past. They are great functional rods though they may not have the bling of fancy hardware, elaborate wraps, and decals of "fine" custom rods. I favor KISS in rods.

The kit idea is a good one. Later you may want to customize your choice of components. It may be a good idea to economize on the first one you build. On the other hand you do not want to put all that labor into a low end rod you will not use a lot.

If you have not done it yet, read up on the process; or watch videos. There's no need to buy a book or video with what we have on the internet. These are just samples of the good stuff out there.

Mudhole

http://blog.mudhole.com/build-custom-fishing-rod/

Hook & Hackle

http://www.hookhack.com/html/rodbuildinginstructions.html

If you think you can handle the process, go ahead. What kind of rod are you going to build?

I agree with Rob and Mike. The first graphite rod I built was from a kit. Do some research, watch some videos, and don't be afraid to ask questions here on the forums. Often times the outlet you purchase your materials from is very knowledgeable and willing to help. With a kit the process is fairly easy if you take your time and read through the directions a time or two. As rob said, the first attempt may not be as aesthetically pleasing as you would like but it will most likely function just fine and it will be something you built. That first smallie on a rod that you built will feel that much more special. Don't be surprised if it becomes a winter hobby.

Don't be surprised if it becomes a winter hobby.

Or an obsession that each rod is more perfect than the one before or you desire greater creativity on the next one such as a feather inlay or an artistic butt wrap or a decal with thread wraps of your favorite sports team's colors or................. (Not that I personally would have ever been so caught up in this but just something I heard mind you : )

I got a spinning rod kit for christmas. My nephew started building last year and he said, it's not that hard but you end up refining what you want. So yeah, build the cheaper ones first.

I am kind of excited about it. A few of the nephews builds came out pretty sweet.

Several years ago 4 or 5 members including Ed B & I built rods with help at Coren's rod & reel. We met for two sessions, first to lay out guides, attach cork, & get materials, then to epoxy the finished rod a couple weeks later. If there is interest we could do it again. At a minimum Eric is a great resource & a long time supporter of the ISA.

Coren's Rod & Reel

6001 North Nina Ave.

Chicago, IL. 60631

773/631-5202

Gregg

Both the spinning rod and fly rod that I was using at mcgraw last Summer were rods that we had built at Coren's. I agree with John that Eric is a great resource and a master at what he does.

If there is enough interest we will do a rod building session again. Even if we don't, I suggest you talk with Eric before you start, it will be well worth your time.

If there are any members that would be interested in a rod building session this Winter, let us know here and soon so that we have time to organize one.

I'd be interested depending on timing/times. If you can't get anything going this winter for whatever the reasons maybe next winter. I would be interested then also.

Nice old film. Greenheart is a nasty piece of wood. Though it is known for strength and practically decay and insect proof, it has some other properties to watch out for. It contains toxins that attack internal organs. All that sawdust flying around in the old film made me hold my breath. Don't do this at home.

Nice old film. Greenheart is a nasty piece of wood. Though it is known for strength and practically decay and insect proof, it has some other properties to watch out for. It contains toxins that attack internal organs. All that sawdust flying around in the old film made me hold my breath. Don't do this at home.

Nice to know, especially for those curious enough to give it a try. I imagine rod makers of the day were not even aware of the dangers of the trade.

• 3 weeks later...

Mudhole has classes that they take around the Country. This year it is back in the Chicago area. I've taken 2 of these classes. You build the rod and they give you hands on help. It's usually a 2 day class for $150. And you keep the tools you build the rod with. Plus you get a spinning rod out of it. Go to their web site and click the link for the classes. I would recommend it.

I have made arrangements with Eric at Coren's Rod and Reel to host another rod building session for the I S A. If we have a workable number of participants we will have 3 or 4 sessions at Coren's with instruction and hands on help from Eric Heckman, The cost will be a $25 shop fee and the cost of the materials of your choosing. We would like to get this started soon so that we can have our new rods ready for the coming Summer season.

John Loebach and I are already in so we need just a few more to get started. I have already built some rods with Eric and I can say that it is a worthwhile experience well worth both the time and cost involved.

Eric gets busy in April, we should set up dates in March. In the past we met at 8am on several Saturdays. His shop opens at 9am & the early start allows him to work with each of us individually. Weekdays are also available. TBD by the group.

Format is likely:

1- planning/choices. Eric sells all or most of what you will use. Order as needed.

2- reel seat & cork - you will leave with enough done to epoxy seat & glue cork rings on your own

3- Shape cork on lathe & layout guides & hook keeper, wrapping on your own

4- epoxy wraps & sign your rod

4 or 6 possible spaces. You won't find a better teacher & class IMHO.

If you want to think ahead they run a bamboo building class every year in April, you make your own blank, then build.

John

Saturdays at 8:00 would work best for me if there is still room. I'd like to do a 2 piece float and fly rod, something around 8' that could double as a pan fish rod.

So if it's early on Saturdays, there is still room and that rod can be built I would be in.

Saturdays at 8:00 would work best for me if there is still room. I'd like to do a 2 piece float and fly rod, something around 8' that could double as a pan fish rod.

So if it's early on Saturdays, there is still room and that rod can be built I would be in.

count yourself counted