Why I Otter...

jude

Do you guys think the otters would ever try to go after a lure? Have you ever heard or read about it?

I'll bet they would. When I first saw them I had quite a bit of line out in the hole where they were. I just froze up at first, then figured I better get my Jude Bug reeled in before they got to it. They were pretty fearless. I wish I had a better camera at times like this. I watched them, and they watched me for a good ten minutes.

I'll bet they would. When I first saw them I had quite a bit of line out in the hole where they were. I just froze up at first, then figured I better get my Jude Bug reeled in before they got to it. They were pretty fearless. I wish I had a better camera at times like this. I watched them, and they watched me for a good ten minutes.

most likely admiring that awesome beard

They reintroduced river otters down this way 20 years ago and they have done quite well, many fishermen and pond owners would claim they have done too well. They can take a toll on the river's fish population for sure. I've seen them work an edge and these guys are skilled. Unfortunately I have friends and acquaintances that own ponds near our rivers and they freely venture into those ponds and have actually cleaned out entire catfish ponds within days, leaving only the heads on the bank. Some very accomplished smallmouth fishermen across the way in Indiana have been cursing the things since they have gone from here to there and they swear they have had a detrimental effect on their fishing.

But they are cute !

They reintroduced river otters down this way 20 years ago and they have done quite well, many fishermen and pond owners would claim they have done too well. They can take a toll on the river's fish population for sure. I've seen them work an edge and these guys are skilled. Unfortunately I have friends and acquaintances that own ponds near our rivers and they freely venture into those ponds and have actually cleaned out entire catfish ponds within days, leaving only the heads on the bank. Some very accomplished smallmouth fishermen across the way in Indiana have been cursing the things since they have gone from here to there and they swear they have had a detrimental effect on their fishing.

But they are cute !

From a search on "what eats otters".

"On land, however, they must be wary of predators such as bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions, wolves, black bears and foxes." I also saw a reference to eagles taking small ones. Seems like Illinois has all those but some are more abundant than others.

I can't imagine too big of a negative affect on a river the size of the Kish. But I can imagine a family of otters could clean out a small farm pond pretty efficiently. Yes, they're cute, and yes Norm…they seemed to be concentrating on my chin. I think they were actually disappointed in my beard, comparing it to the guy they heard about on the Kank.