Question on gap

Rob G

So I'm perusing the fishing hook isle at my local Gander Mountain and I'm reminded at just how large a hook is typically used when fishing for Largemouth or spin fishing plastics for Smallies. They're not just huge but it seems to me over time that the gap of the hooks have increased in size. In fact many brands advertised their over sized gap as a marketing point. I'm guessing the reason is better hook set, but what about better hook holding power i.e. less likely to get the hook spit back at you? Then I take a look at my often tied streamers and see a 3 or 4xl hook that has a teeny weeny gap by comparison even when my standard practice has been to open the gap slightly at the bench with pliers. Many people theorize that the longer the shank, the greater the hook throwing leverage moves in favor of the fish. I'm assuming that the large gap counters this effect, or am I wrong? Anyway, I've just started to tie some of my favorite streamer patterns on wider gap Gamy hooks and will be interested in seeing if I have less big ones get away. My very scientific data :) and results will be made known later, that is if I can ever get enough time to actually fish again.

So what are your thoughts on the pluses-minuses of hook gap?

First thing that I think of is when fishing plastic a larger gap allows for for the bulk of the plastic while still leaving enough gap between the plastic and hook for a good hookset or rather the ability for the hook to freely penetrate with no obstructions.

I guess from a fly perspective this would translate into how much you guys bulk/build up the shank of the hook with whatever materials you are using to build your fly.

While maybe not directly related this topic made me thing about the walleye fishing we used to do in Canada lindy rigging leeches and using a #8 or #10 short shank hook. Rarely lost a fish and we caught big uns... not much of a gap there.

First thing that I think of is when fishing plastic a larger gap allows for for the bulk of the plastic while still leaving enough gap between the plastic and hook for a good hookset or rather the ability for the hook to freely penetrate with no obstructions.

I guess from a fly perspective this would translate into how much you guys bulk/build up the shank of the hook with whatever materials you are using to build your fly.

While maybe not directly related this topic made me thing about the walleye fishing we used to do in Canada lindy rigging leeches and using a #8 or #10 short shank hook. Rarely lost a fish and we caught big uns... not much of a gap there.

Yeah, this is true and probably accounts for the reasoning for increasing hook gaps, to clear big bulky baits. But the original reason was to increase the likelihood of a hook up, not to hold on to the fish better.

Back when I was growing up (oh no, I said it) they used to tell you to bend the point out to open up the gape.

WWKS?

Go to the guru. When the bulk of the head increases we use a larger hook so that body material does not block the point. And a long shank 3X puts the point further away from that bulky head.
DSCF2258.jpg
The Classic Zoo Cougar