Need fly suggestions for up north in August

WILLIAM C.

My brother coming from Colorado to join me in August to fish the Menominee River wants to know what flies he should use. He would like to tie a few of the favorites that ISA members recommend. Any pictures, links or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'd check with Tight Lines the guide service on the M. An excellent guide I know familiar with the river recommends the "do nothing" method using big trout type flies with rubber legs like the madam x or the chernobyl ant allowed to just drift along on the surface.He said that due to the daily pressure from that shop's guide fleet on the river's best spots the smallies no longer respond very well to more conventional tactics such as actively working the banks. I plan on trying the usual methods but will be ready to follow his advice as well.Btw the do nothing was the only thing that worked on Ed's recent Lake M.. ISA outting. Craig Riendau caught a bunch float n flying.Nothing else produced on those reluctant heavily pressured bass.

A hired gun, like ronk suggested, is the safest way to go. You and your Bro will have some $$$ invested by the time he gets here. Economizing on on a guide service or skipping one is "penny wise and pound foolish."

Since he is a tyer, here's a picture that I call "Flies That Work:"

DSCF0055.jpg

I won't leave home without these, a rubber bug, a Stealth Bomber, a Hairy Fodder, and Lefty's R/W. OK there is one more. Add a blockhead or Lefty's Bug. Good chance the guide service will tie one of these or something like it on your tippet based on "conditions."

"Fish are on the top , the bottom, or somewhere in between."

There are two patterns that I rely on up there; a chartreuse Boogle Bug (popper) in both a small size and large size (4 & 6 or 8?) and I primarily dead drift them, and a silver & white Murdich Minnow, though I like the copper & white as well. I will use other patterns, pretty much anything that speaks smallmouth to you should work, but I lean heavily on these two patterns and they've been productive for me the past 8 or 9 years.

When i wade, I tend to fish more mid-river structure than banks, though I will do both. If you go on a float the guides will take great care of your needs and there is no better way to learn the river.

Thanks for all the suggestions, greatly appreciated. My brother won't have to worry about learning the river since he will be fishing with me and I have been there about 25 times. He's an experienced fisherman and good at reading water so he will probably adapt quickly. More interested in what flies to tie so he doesn't have to purchase them when he gets here.

Steve

When I pontooned the M. last year with Scott and saw how shallow much of the mid rive was i also exclusively fished either the slow sinking murdich or a bassbug. I had only limited success partly because it was my 1st time on that oddly structured river and partly because it was hard to flyfish the current from the pontoon

Steve, Ron, I agree with your statements. When wading I catch more fish out in the river on structure and weed lines that took a few years to discover. If we float we both will be using spinning gear but when we wade my brother would prefer to use his fly rod.

That will be determined by water levels, hoping for low water so we can do both. Again, thanks for the tips.

Steve

When I pontooned the M. last year with Scott and saw how shallow much of the mid rive was i also exclusively fished either the slow sinking murdich or a bassbug. I had only limited success partly because it was my 1st time on that oddly structured river and partly because it was hard to flyfish the current from the pontoon

I did a tandem kayak on the river a few years back and I don't think I could've fly fished.

What did you find odd about the structure?

I did a tandem kayak on the river a few years back and I don't think I could've fly fished.

What did you find odd about the structure?

I was referring to the very shallow rocky "flats" thruout the section we fished.Long legged Scott would fisn them by planting his feet down to stop the toon in place. I would've had to get out of it and stand up with it tethered to me.