Boots

Pat M

My wading boots have fallen apart. I have had them about 4-5 years. I have a friend with the same boots but a year newer and his boots are doing fine. Mine disintegrated where the lug sole attaches to the upper. In view of this it may not be the boot but how I care for them. After returning from wading I set them on a shelve in the garage about 8 inches apart to let air circulate around them. It takes about 4 days for them to dry completely.

How do other members care for their wading boots?

Mine live in the trunk year round , get worn year round. If I get more than a year or two , I'd be wondering if Rod Sterling was announcing the episode .

pat, really? 4 to 5 years? that would be the life time of the boot, wouldn't it? I turn mine upside down for a day anyway and make sure air is circulating around them. I have turned a small fan on them, steady and slow. timothyf

Too bad they are not stitching anymore... glue will eventually fail.

I give a good rinsing, sit them up on the heel to drain and dump water that collects and then stuff newspaper in them removing after 1-2 hours. They are usually dry with/in 24 hours depending on humidity.

Could be viewed as a little anal but given that I can only get out every two weeks depending on schedule etc. and that I don't have a garage or basement it works for me. I'm just glad/lucky my wife lets me hang waders in shower to dry if need be...

it's not unusual for the soles to come apart from the uppers eventually. Applying Shoogoo available at any hardware store all around the back half of the boots at the seam will reinforce the connection extending the time before this happens if not preventing it altogether.Shoogoo can also be used to reattach the sole though if the boots are still in good shape having the repair done by a shoemaker is best. Re Kevin's comment Chota did start stitching at least their higher boots apparently in response to complaints about premature failure I bought a pair years ago which failed after only a few wearings.I swore I'd never buy another Chota.But this summer after seeing they're now also stitched I bought a pair because thy're very light and have a unique lacing system that's very ez and secure.Time will tell how well they hold up

Whenever my boots dry between uses I wet them down making things easier getting them on both for them and myself

The only rinsing my boots get is when leaving the river as I don't have access to a hose at home (condo). I air dry them on the balcony along with my waders. They typically dry completely in between uses.

It's my 5th season with both boots and waders (purchased April 2011) and while the tread pattern on the boots need some help, everything is still intact and I have had zero leaks in my waders (Simms G4).

Knock on wood.

I am of the Norm Minus school of wading boot care. Boots come off and are put on the garage floor ..sometimes they dry ,sometimes they don't before their next dipping.I have a pair of Orvis boots got a great deal on them they are now discontinued. If i get two years on a pair of wader its a miracle, boots average a couple of years as well.

Hope everyone had a good year on the water!

Boots and waders will last as long as they will last no matter how they're maintained( the Shoogoo treatment notwithstanding).I've owned quality waders from Hodgman,LLBean,and Dan Bailey.All disappointed leaking in the 1st year of use the Hodgman's leaking right out of the box twice. On the other hand my Orvis Sonics have just ended their 4th year of frequent use w/o a leak even after the seam tape on the booties came off.

shoot, I've had boots and waders that were never completely dry after the first use .

after a lifetime of wading I've found that trying to predict how long boots and waders will last is like trying to pick winning lotto numbers or how many fish I'll catch a week from today .

your mileage may vary .

I rinse and drape the waders over a lawn chair to dry before hanging them in the basement. The boots dry in the sun or in cold weather on a boot dryer in the basement. My boots always outlast the waders. Like Norm said, "mileage may vary". When in high school, college, and about 10 years after, I used a pair of LaCrosse rubber hip waders that my dad used for years. I rinsed off the mud and hung them in the basement. I also rubbed them a time or two with some sort of product to help preserve the rubber. I wore the soles out before ever springing a leak. I don't expect that will be happening again.

Boots and waders manufactures warn again keeping them in the car for a prolong period in the summer, the extreme heat in the car can melt the adhesive and cause leaks. It also voids the warranty. Also, some garages can get really hot in the summer. Something to keep in mind.

Eric,

I hope you have better luck with your LL Bean Gray Ghost boot than I have. Got a pair with the Boa closure late July this year and loved them at first. But, back loop tore a couple of weeks ago. Boa closure sticks at times coming off the water-so I now carry pliers with me in case it sticks again (I've had to use them already to pop it open). I'll be returning mine to Bean soon (once they dry out) and waiting for the new Orvis boot with Boa closure coming out beginning of next year (saw them at the Early Show).