Summer Flies for bass and panfish

Colin,

I am looking forward to seeing your creations. A standard Muddler treated with flotant has served me well in the past as a hopper. Today I would probably use a Stealth Bomber since it can be scaled from #1 down to 12 depending on your target fish. It slides dives or pops based on how you work it.

my craw-fish and dragonfly/scud/minnow ( bead chain coyote fly)

Bead chain coyote fly

Thread- 6/0 or 8/0 Red ( UNI , Danville's or Veves will work)

Hook- Panfish light wire ( Aberdeen) size 6-10 or smaller ( if you can find them)

Tail-coyote

Under-body- red thread or any bright color will do.

Body- Coyote dubbing patch

Eye's - gold bead chain

Weight- .10 to .25 or heaver if you chouse

Notes,

I do change the body dubbing and body color as well. I do dye the coyote or other cream to white or tan fur with R..IT or kol-aid

with White vinegar in the same bath.

post-3382-0-53158200-1441833110_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

The "chubby chernobyl" is a fantastic and simple pattern that has produced fish for me on top. It's not a realistic grasshopper, but the fish respond well to it. It is really a pattern meant to smack down and be left there, so I would change flies if the bass are looking for something more active to chase. It also catches a ton of trout all summer.

post-1902-0-59435700-1454177593_thumb.jpg

I will post more pictures soon. I've been playing with a fly and tied by jack gartside, the fly is The Sparrow.

Here is the pattern from the website

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gartside_sparrow.htm

Another couple flies that always seems to catch me fish are the,Teal,Blue and Silver, The, Bloody Butcher, The Red Tag, The gugler, and simple jigs that Jim Zoreb taught me how to tie and fish.

The wet flies teal,bluer and silver and also the bloody butcher and very similar

TBS- teal, blue and silver

Tail- G. P. tippet

Rib- silver wire

Body- flat silver tinsel or Gold/Silver Mylar ( silver side needed)\

Hen hackle- Blue in a shade you prefer

Wing- Teal flank or breast

Bloody butcher

Tail- red hackle fibers or goose shoulder dyed red

Rib- gold or silver wire

Body- Gold/Silver Mylar

Hen hackle- dyed red ( dark rich red color like blood )

Wing- Mallard blue feathers or Natural grey duck quill or any wing that is Black,or Grey or Blue in color

For panfish, specifically bluegills before any other pattern there should be sponge spiders and small poppers and Sneaky Petes. You can tie the sponge spiders fancier than they need to be, but seriously those el-cheapo white ones with the orange paint are just killer. i am going to make some nice poppers before spring, but I don't think i can make a nicer one than Boogle Bugs, which are 5 bucks each. But they are really durable and just a wicked fly.

For bass look at Gartside's Gurgler and also various poppers, Dahlberg Divers and bass bugs.

My favorite fly by a long shot is a downsized Murdich Minnow. I met this guy while fishing the Mazon, nice guy. We ended up chatting and he gave me a baby murdich that he tied. That fly stayed on my leader for the rest of the summer till it disintegrated. It was only 3 1/2 inches or so. All you had to do water see the fly in the water and you'll know why it catches fish. They shed water real nice and really the full size Murdich really isn't that hard to cast, I was just doing so well in numbers and enjoyment on my 6 wt with the small one.

the key to the murdich is the polar fiber causes a wake that makes the flashabou and deer hair wiggle when you strip it.

The "chubby chernobyl" is a fantastic and simple pattern that has produced fish for me on top. It's not a realistic grasshopper, but the fish respond well to it. It is really a pattern meant to smack down and be left there, so I would change flies if the bass are looking for something more active to chase. It also catches a ton of trout all summer.

attachicon.gifChubby Chernobyl blurple.jpg

tim, do you use these colors? I ask because I have found this color combo good. timothy troester

My favorite fly by a long shot is a downsized Murdich Minnow. I met this guy while fishing the Mazon, nice guy. We ended up chatting and he gave me a baby murdich that he tied. That fly stayed on my leader for the rest of the summer till it disintegrated. It was only 3 1/2 inches or so. All you had to do water see the fly in the water and you'll know why it catches fish. They shed water real nice and really the full size Murdich really isn't that hard to cast, I was just doing so well in numbers and enjoyment on my 6 wt with the small one.

the key to the murdich is the polar fiber causes a wake that makes the flashabou and deer hair wiggle when you strip it.

Just tied my first couple murdich minnows, good to know about the polar fibers purpose, I figured it was just to fill the body out a little more. I'll have to tie up some more of them downsized.