Overnight Float Outing

Terry Dodge

I feel terrible having to have canceled some of our northwest region outings this year due to high waters.

In an attemp to make it up to you, here is what I propose.....

I have thought for a few years that I would like to try and put together an overnight float trip on the Kishwaukee River and

maybe even flowing onto the Rock River for the 2nd leg of the outing.

This outing would happen in September after Labor Day weekend.

I will call this post the "1st stage" for planning for this overnight trip.

In this 1st stage I am just looking for interest. If there are enough of you interested in doing something like this,

I will then set up a discussion group, for all interested, to discuss and plan this outing together.

You can post here if you are interested of shoot me a PM.

There are two sites available for camping and both are free.

Which site we use would be determined during the discussing group by the distance we would decide on covering.

I can only hope and pray that the rivers would be down to their normal flow for that time of year.

Let me know what you think.

~Terry

Interested. I've been kicking around doing a 2 day camp float on Sugar river and same goes on Kish.. I would have knocked one of those out already if it wasn't for bad conditions on the days I pencilled in. Would be difficult to do for me between now and end of August so September sounds good - depending on days choosen.

I personally think that 8-10 miles is a great length if you planning on really picking the water apart. It's also nice not be rushed on overnight trips, much better to be able to take some time to relax than worry about getting camp set up in time.

Although I don't own a vessel, this is an outstanding idea!

Perhaps a short float to a campsite that offered good wade/shore fishing. This way the group can float fish to the campsite, make camp, meal, then an evening wade? Get some shut eye, break camp, float the remainder?

You are on to something here Mr. Dodge.

Perhaps a short float to a campsite that offered good wade/shore fishing. This way the group can float fish to the campsite, make camp, meal, then an evening wade? Get some shut eye, break camp, float the remainder?

Methinks Mr. Dodge is not as dumb as he would have us believe

Agree. When we go canoe tripping in the boundary waters we always try to get on the water early, eat a quick sack lunch on the way, make camp by mid afternoon, then have the rest of the afternoon and evening to fish and mess around with cooking and side trips. Certainly dont want to be setting up camp at dusk or dark. Also dont want to miss the dusk fishing hours. 14 miles is too much for one day.

ericg

I'm sure you could find vessel to use. If not I have a personal pontoon you're more than welcomed to use.

Here is a link to sunrise/sunset times for the month of September.

We would want to be at the camp site at what time? > http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/rockford?month=9&year=2015

(Note: Eligible Saturdays fall on Sept. 12th, 19th, and 26th.) (we have an outing scheduled for the 5th.)

(Another Note: I am also open to any days, not just weekends. Depends on the what the group wants to do.)

Methinks Mr. Dodge is not as dumb as he would have us believe

Methinks Mr. Ed is mistaken.

I have 3 yaks. Even if I don't attend, any member is welcome borrow one. They ain't purity, but they float.

Here is a link to sunrise/sunset times for the month of September.

We would want to be at the camp site at what time? > http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/rockford?month=9&year=2015

really a matter of preference. my example above from Boundary Waters days is not all that relevant i realize for several reasons (in Boundary Waters we are essentially competing for the best campsites with other canoe parties, much easier to split the group up to do various direction evening fishing outings near campsite in a lake than in a river, etc)

Also I have questions for you Terry: would we be able to leave a vehicle or two at the camping area ahead of time with tents, sleeping bags, etc or would we have to bring them in the kayak/canoe with us? That would make a difference in how easy it is to cover miles. My main concern is to set up camp and preferably cook supper in daylight rather than dark. Of course a couple of power fishers could paddle ahead to start cooking a meal and leave the slow finesse fishers like me to straggle in later ;)

ericg

would we be able to leave a vehicle or two at the camping area ahead of time with tents, sleeping bags, etc or would we have to bring them in the kayak/canoe with us?

Good question. I have to look in to that. I was wondering also. The 1st site belongs to Rockford Park District and the park gate gets locked at night.

Not sure if they will let us keep a car in there. I'll have to look into it.