I Bought Stink Bait

Terry Dodge

a man who is trying to become a multi species angler . I fish for bass, walleye, pike, musky, gar, bowfin, carp, suckers, catfish, rock bass, gills and sunnies, crappie, chubs[for bait], hybrid stripers, white bass and drum. Some more than others and not every species every year .

for cat stinkbait, I prefer punch bait to dips . cut bait , followed by mud leeches than crawlers drifted under a float is my preferred way of cat fishing .

Me too Norm. There are better and less stinky ways to catch catfish. Fresh chicken liver, leeches, cut bait, and live stunted bluegills round out my top 4 mid summer baits for catfish. You are probably at the tail end of a mullberry bite. Catfish is king on the Rock River. In years with high water, a lot of those cats make it up the Kish.

I use dip bait in the spring when the water is cooler and the bait doesn't dissolve so fast. Summertime catfishing is all about the live or cut bait. Catch your own and keep them alive for flathead. When they die, cut them up for channels and blues.

Keep the chicken liver in the fridge. Turtles love to steal livers all night long.

Used to catch chubs in the river and cut the heads off for the really big flatheads.
Be sure to use a hook big enough to go through the head AND leaving enough left to impale the cat in the mouth.
Lost a 28 lb'er by not following that advice.
My buddy got her the next night in the same spot.
Go figure.

Terry, I have found that, if you do not prefer to carry live bait for cats, gulp crawlers work fairly well drifted under a float in a current or along a current seam. I have also had tremendous fishing for flatheads using a Northland lipstick jig with a powerbait or gulp trailer. Keep it moving wherever you may suspect the flatheads may be.