Funds for Fish: Tribute to Don LaBrose

Dan Draz

I thought you all might like to see what one youth ISA member, and Eagle Scout, is doing to honor the memory of Don LaBrose, former DuPage County Forest Preserve Fisheries biologist and to improve children’s fishing experiences in the area. Don was personally known to many ISA members and a friend of the ISA.

Quinn’s effort involves introducing a new strain of fish to the DuPage County Forest Preserve waters. It's a really cool project! Imaging being able to catch a 4lb blue gill some day!! How neat would that be?

The Chicago Tribune article on it was syndicated and showed up in papers around the country.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/ct-nvs-dupage-fish-stock-st-0422-20150420-story.html

If you're interested in talking about it or helping Quinn spread the word via interviews, facebook pages, twitter, email lists or fishing groups with a kind word about his project, he’d greatly appreciate it!

Between direct donations to the DuPage County Forest Preserve District, and this new crowdfunding effort, he's already raised over 4k towards his goal. Every dollar counts! He's also doing several media interviews about it over the next couple weeks.

Www.gofundme.com/fundsforfish

Donations are also going directly to the DuPage County Forest Preserve District's website:

https://www.dupageforestgiving.org/

Those of you who are DRiFT members, Quinn cannot thank you enough for believing in his effort and supporting this project with a significant donation:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/aurora-beacon-news/community/chi-ugc-article-naperville-eagle-scouts-funds-for-fish-campa-2015-06-19-story.html

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out and thank you to the ISA members who have already contributed.

Quinn appreciates it very kindly.

Dan

This is an amazing project, and my hat's off to Quinn for his dedication!

I've spoken to those in charge of facilitating these funds several times, and I'm looking forward to a really bright future for these fisheries.
Thanks for sharing this, Dan!

I want to thank ISA very kindly for the donation, and to individual members who are continuing to donate, in support of this fisheries tribute project. The response from the fishing community continues to be very positive and this week I'm picking up another donation check. Every day we get a little closer to the initial $5000 fundraising goal for the project so every dollar helps!

As a teenager who had the pleasure of working on an Eagle project with Don LaBrose, and to be inspired by him, it's really exciting to see this all come together.

I'd like to have this all wrapped up by the end of August so that I can turn project funds over to the FPD and the fisheries biologist can buy the fish stock and put them into the waters this year.

if anyone has any questions please let me know.

Quinn

For anyone interested in the Funds for Fish (hybrid bluegill) project that I started with the DuPage County Forest Preserve District and the progress that we're making on it, here's a bit of an update: the campaign's now pushing the 90% mark of the original campaign funding goal I set given several recent donations from folks in the local fishing community which is totally appreciated!

I've been working with the FPD and will be wrapping up the campaign effort on August 31st. Donations made which exceed the original funding goal will result in more fish being stocked so I'm hopeful to not only meet the original goal but to exceed it! There are also some local press interviews scheduled with support from local fishing personalities.

The FPD is interested in purchasing the fish and stocking them this year! Very cool!

Quinn