KBL

k olson

When I joined the ISA a few years ago, I had just finished my brief stint on a few tournament circuits. I realized as a co-angular that there was no way I could devote the time or money to really be competitive; however having played college sports the desire to compete is always there. The KBL or kayak bass league provided this opportunity. I fished my first tourney on sunday at Mazonia state park. I was hoping to represent the ISA in grand fashion but was not meant to be. I managed one fish in between storms and it flopped back in the water as I was taking picture, wtf ? Rules were pretty simple, wrist band on in picture, 12" minimum, best 3 fish. It was a little disappointing since I prefished this area twice with decent results. There were some good fisherman there, about 28 guys competed, 48" won 1st place on drop shot and big bass was 18.25". It was good learning experience & the 1st place trouphy was really sweet, would have liked to got my hands on that ! I thought the guys who organized it did a good job; however the weather was the biggest factor, I spent more time paddling & repositioning then casting which is my biggest gripe about kayak fishing in general, I would rather wet wade any day if I had to choose. I also found it interesting I was the only one with coosa style yak, all others were sit in. Next up is Evergreen Lake, anybody have tips or advice?

If you are fishing from a Coosa, small dumbbell is not going to work as an anchor as you will not be able to pull it up out of the water and have it rest in the boat........won't fit in designated anchor chutes.......................3/8 inch logging chain works much better.

Yea the wristband worked really well, just gotta keep that fish from floppin once you get it on the bump board. The tricky part was the mouth on the fish had to be closed or it is a deduction, so once you get mouth closed, you place your hand on the fish (wristband on that hand of course) then snap picture with free hand. Most guys used 30 inch Hawg trough measuring boards, I thought they were going to be to big but it actually worked out pretty well when placing on lap for picture, they're just in the way when not in use. Normally drag chains are pretty sufficient; however with the wind and the way Mazonia is set up (strip mines), everything was swirling really tough to anchor on this day. I think wristbands will work great for the river bassin tourney in July, although fly fisherman should start of with some type of handicap right Tom ?