anyone tying anything new?

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

i am experimenting with a swordtail clouser similar to the bunny strip clouser but using the bohemian chennile as a "twistertype tail" . i swipe some silicone on the tail to flatten and taper it. will report on it soon rich

Guest One More Cast
i am experimenting with a swordtail clouser similar to the bunny strip clouser but using the bohemian chennile as a "twistertype tail" . i swipe some silicone on the tail to flatten and taper it. will report on it soon rich

Silicone, as in SoftTex?

Joseph

Guest rich mc

actually i melt it a little as you showed me , then give a swipe of clear silicone. i would have used soft tex if i had some . remind me when i come in next saturday

Guest One More Cast
I've been working on the sparkling pupa. I just need to get more antron and patience. I'm new at this.

Chris

Go to Flyanglersonline.com, click on to the Keyword Search feature.

Type in Sparkle Pupa and you will get the on-line tutorial for the pattern.

Joseph

I haven't been doing much tying. I haven't been fishing as much as I would like and I haven't had a chance to fish all of the flies that I tied this winter. I did tie up a few #8 and #6 wooly buggers in black and olive using some tungston bead heads. Those "standard" flies worked well a couple of weeks ago when I had a chance to fish in Colorado. I did better using the wooly buggers than I did using #16 nymphs.

I've got jury duty in Joliet so after we were let go, I hit the DuPage in Shorewood Tuesday evening. I threw a chartruese streamer and nothing. I switched to an all black Clouser Madtom as shown in Mr. Clouser's book and the bite turned on.

So last night I was tying up several of these is various "styles". It calls for calf hair, but I don't have any. In place of that I've used bucktail, or maribou, or palmerd a strip of bunny fur along the shank and over the dumbell eyes.

If the weather cooperates and we get out at a reasonable hour, I might stop and try the flies tonight.

Go to Flyanglersonline.com, click on to the Keyword Search feature.

Type in Sparkle Pupa and you will get the on-line tutorial for the pattern.

Joseph

Thanks Joseph

Here's another website that I've found useful for tying flies

FlyFishingConnection.com

Chris

Guest One More Cast
Thanks Joseph

Here's another website that I've found useful for tying flies

FlyFishingConnection.com

Chris

The Spring issue of Fly Tyer magazine has great step-by-step photos for the Sparkle Pupa.

Joseph

BTW, I also own a 6'6" Orvis Flea and I would not trade it for anything. I only pull it out twice a year to fish the Trico hatch. I fish them in a size 22 on a 15-16 foot leader and that rod does just fine. Those trout coming up for Tricos have their faces an inch or so under thr water and your fly must land as softly as a butterfly with sore feet or they'll spook.

• 1 month later...

Chek out www.flyfishohio.com and www.buckeyeflyfishers.com

These contain many good patterns, tying instructions and streaming video of tying.

Rick D.