Kish Float, Saturday, May 2

So pumped for this float, lots of firsts for me.

1. Nucanoe on the river

2. Fly fishing the Kish

3. Hopefully landing my first smallmouth or pike on the fly.

I feel like a kid again! which reminds me, I have my second boyo due in two weeks so lets hope I don't get THE CALL and have to book it home.

Whats everyone floating and throwing? I'll probably be mixing up spinning and fly gear.

I'll be in my Coosa and I'll be throwing swim jigs on the seams, tubes around structures, and drifting a wacky worm in the deep holes on the big bends.

No fly rod for me on this outing. I only cast the fly rod when wading, and I plan to stick to the inside of the yak as I have been receiving reports of smallies on beds.

I'm still debating. My Chug Bugs are dying to get wet, but I've told myself that I'm going to use the fly rod as much as possible. I've never floated a river with the fly rod…hmmmm….the only sure thing is that I'll be in my Tarpon.

That reminds me! Stickers for my yaks! I guess I'll have to run to MC Sports today.

Coosa, spinning rod with tubes and other plastics, baitcaster with swim jig, and fly rod with what ever seems good to tie on. See you all in the morning.

So much for waking up early and getting some sunrise pictures beforehand. Hitting the road now, I'll miss part of breakfast but most likely grab something on my way.

Not sure what happened to, or with, Gregg S. He got ahead of us and we never saw him again.

The other 5 of us all boated fish (no skunk) with what I believe we decided was for a grand total of about 24 smallies.

We could have done without the wind blowing in our faces the entire way but weather, water level, and camaraderie-wise, we

couldn't have asked for a better day.

Everybody seems to get a kick out of picking on me.

I don't get it. :(

Some pics of the day.....

DSCF6096.JPG DSCF6100.JPG DSCF6101.JPG DSCF6103.JPG DSCF6104.JPG DSCF6105.JPG DSCF6106.JPG

Started with another fine CV Cafe breakfast:

DSCF3049_zpsem00zwsu.jpg

Ben, Terry, Tim, and Frank stretching their legs:

DSCF3067_zpsbljqrfic.jpg

Ben's 17.5" fattie:

DSCF3063_zps78vnwhnm.jpg

Concentration:

DSCF3053_zpsttinrk51.jpg

We really couldn't have asked for better conditions, but as usual for a N.W. outing, the fishing was pretty slow. Must be the Curse of the River Dancer. It was a great time hanging with some of the usual suspects, and picking on our host. Thanks for being a good sport, Terry.

Six of my seven were caught on the Chug Bug, 16.5" being the biggest.

I had a fantastic time, learned a lot about that stretch of river and really enjoyed the ISA camaraderie. Wish I had some more pictures to post but I stuck with video for most of the day. Not much of it turned out due to that head on wind but I have a few tidbits I'll hold on to. Fishing wise I thought it was solid, Before the wind picked up I had a great topwater take on a fly, Unfortunately it popped off after a short fight. Once the wind got going boat management became an issue and I stuck with spinning gear, mainly a fluke which I picked up 6 fish on, the larger ones went 17.5, 15.5, and 16. I actually used my handy ISA tape for once.

vA38mG.png

Jude gets the assist, he passed up a prime spot that coughed up this beaut. She put up a great fight and gave me a solid reminder of why we have a club dedicated to them. absolutely ferocious

9gqbnW.png

Loved the markings on this one, also a spirited fighter.

HUGE thanks to Terry for putting this together, I couldn't have asked for a better way to kick off another year of smallmouth fishing. It was great to see everyone and I'm looking forward to more events this year.

One dink for me. Once the handwriting was on the wall that I was not doing much catching I put the rod down and enjoyed the float. I was

off the water about 330. Not sure how far I had gotten ahead.

Gregg

The rear-ending on the map was comical Terry.

We were just about at the bridge when all of a sudden were heard screeching tires followed by a SMASH.

I looked up to see the #2 car speed off around the #1 car it had just hit. Hit & RUN (?). They may have pulled off further

up the road to where they would not block traffic.

After we took out and loaded our yaks on Jude's car, and were heading back to the put-in

to get our other vehicles, we saw a car in the same area (heading the other direction) in a ditch that looked to be filled with a bunch of prom kids.

It seems to be much safer in a kayak these days.

• 2 weeks later...