Square Stern Canoe w/ outboard motor

Colt Johnson

Does anyone fish from a square stern canoe with a small outboard? I have been thinking that it would be nice to explore a few rivers (whether solo or partner) without the need of dual vehicles, floating downstream and motoring back to my vehicle. I am curious if anyone has any experience fishing with this watercraft setup.

Clipper makes a very nice square stern that I have been eying. Here is a video of a Clipper with a 3hp Johnson. They will supposedly move around 8-10mph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRtVC6WbQIU

Thanks!

Colt

I had a Grumman 14ft. Jon that had a 3 h.p. and had no problem floating and motoring on any local rivers.
Actually, I would float downstream and motor back with a fully charged trolling motor as well.
Only got into trouble one time with that on the Kankakee. Floated farther than I had planned and just barely had enough juice to reach the launch.

Thanks Mike. That is what I am planning on doing. Floating downstream and motoring back.

As a follow up, I talked to a very experienced canoe guide in Minnesota (just outside of the Boundary Waters) yesterday afternoon for about a half hour. He strongly suggested that I go with a double ended canoe over a square stern. His point was that a double ender will paddle much better than a square stern, which is consistent with everything I have read. Additionally, he stated that he has spent many years comparing square sterns vs. double ended canoes/side mount setup with everything from an electric trolling motor up to a 4hp motor. He said the performance with a motor is negligible between a square stern and a double ended/side mount setup. His confidence and experience convinced me that I will have much more flexibility with an appropriate double ended canoe in which case I can use a side mount setup on the occasions that I want to use a motor of some sort.

Thanks Mike. That is what I am planning on doing. Floating downstream and motoring back.

As a follow up, I talked to a very experienced canoe guide in Minnesota (just outside of the Boundary Waters) yesterday afternoon for about a half hour. He strongly suggested that I go with a double ended canoe over a square stern. His point was that a double ender will paddle much better than a square stern, which is consistent with everything I have read. Additionally, he stated that he has spent many years comparing square sterns vs. double ended canoes/side mount setup with everything from an electric trolling motor up to a 4hp motor. He said the performance with a motor is negligible between a square stern and a double ended/side mount setup. His confidence and experience convinced me that I will have much more flexibility with an appropriate double ended canoe in which case I can use a side mount setup on the occasions that I want to use a motor of some sort.

Colt,

That was great advice. For many years we used a 17' Grumman Square stern with 6 HP Merc. The Canadians call this a freighter canoe. It was ideal in the Canadian bush for 2-3 anglers carying all the camping gear we needed. It was great on lakes and connecting rivers. It was light enough at 75 lbs for an occasional portage. But without the motor, it was a real pain to paddle for any length of time since it is broader and the square stern causes some turbulence.

Another thing to note as you shop for a double ender is that canoes are usually tandem (2 person afairs). They have to be balanced. In your video there are two dogs and a big stack of gear in front of the center thwart to balance off the weight of the angler, motor and gas in the back. The best solo canoe performance is achieved by mounting a seat in the center. Some two in one models come with that 3rd center seat. For many years I used a Spring Creek sling type seat in my Fiberglass tandem. It is nice in that it flips over for use as a yoke.

2487.jpg

Typical drop in seat.

2439.jpg

"If a canoe carries you, once in a while you have to carry it."

(You can't carry a Jon boat this way.)

Mike,

Thanks a lot. That is great advice on the seating. I have been looking at Clipper fiberglass canoes a lot. The shipping is the only thing holding me back right now. I have been watching craigslist as well. There have been a few nicer canoes that have popped up, but the good deals sold rather quickly and a few other sellers have unrealistic expectations. I definitely want a rigid hull like fiberglass or Kevlar, with fiberglass being the cheaper option.

Colt

Yep

Does anyone fish from a square stern canoe with a small outboard? I have been thinking that it would be nice to explore a few rivers (whether solo or partner) without the need of dual vehicles, floating downstream and motoring back to my vehicle. I am curious if anyone has any experience fishing with this watercraft setup.

Clipper makes a very nice square stern that I have been eying. Here is a video of a Clipper with a 3hp Johnson. They will supposedly move around 8-10mph:

Thanks!

Colt