Fly Chop

Mike G

Usually, when I tie a fly, I start with a pattern and gather the materials I need. Like a cook I follow the recipe. Recently rich has been throwing some of us a curve as shown in the last Bronzeback Bulletin. He gives us the silicon sheets and challenges us to come up with the pattern. It reminds me of the Food Network show where the chefs are given a mystery basket of ingredients and challenged to come up with a dish. Bass ackwards?

I have been working with the sheets and finding "templates" on the web. rich asked me to hurry this along since the Central IL group is meeting at the Firehouse Sunday. So here are my prototypes (first tries) with the templates that helped me make them.

My take on the Puddle Jumper

DSCF2223.jpg

comparejumperoutline.jpg

The fish tail.

cktail4in.jpg

DSCF2226.jpg

The streamer

DSCF2232.jpg

ckparakeet4incp.jpg

The tabs on the fish tail and streamer are attached. There is a way to fold them. Working with the silicon, I think it is easier to cut them off and tie them on separately.

The bottom creature.

DSCF2275.jpg

ckcritermitemd.jpg

I hope this helps the guys in Bloomington.

Now, will I move on to the next round?

Or will I be CHOPPED?

Have you guys tried Ultra Suede? I have some muskie flies with Cohen's Attractor Tails out the back. Pat Cohen has a whole line of stuff cut out of ultra suede. I can tell you the twister tails are AWESOME!! You can buy sheets of ultra suede from Pat at www.rusuperfly.com. I know silicone as I make my swim jigs from silicone and I wonder if ultra suede would have more action on a fly than a hunk of silicone.................but who knows

Guest rich mc

nice work mike. the last crittermite fly looks like its part alligator.

my latest sheet fly is to match the old Berkley leech using 3 pieces . one being the whole leech and two narrower strips glued to be a backbone, one on top and the other below. this leaves the edges to flutter. get to work tyers, tying season may be half over rich mc

nice work mike. the last crittermite fly looks like its part alligator.

my latest sheet fly is to match the old Berkley leech using 3 pieces . one being the whole leech and two narrower strips glued to be a backbone, one on top and the other below. this leaves the edges to flutter. get to work tyers, tying season may be half over rich mc

Thanks for pointing that our, rich. That old Powerbait Power Leech is impossible to buy anymore. Lucky the man who laid up a supply.

shanesfish2020.jpg

Using the sheeting to make these should be easy enough.

It's a keeper!

Have you guys tried Ultra Suede? I have some muskie flies with Cohen's Attractor Tails out the back. Pat Cohen has a whole line of stuff cut out of ultra suede. I can tell you the twister tails are AWESOME!! You can buy sheets of ultra suede from Pat at www.rusuperfly.com. I know silicone as I make my swim jigs from silicone and I wonder if ultra suede would have more action on a fly than a hunk of silicone.................but who knows

Indeed!

Jonn, as you were writing this. I was looking at some sample swatches of Ultrasuede from our favorite alternative fly shop, Distinctive Fabrics. Buying by the yard looks like the way to get 100 times more fabric for the same price. The problem is finding the right suede.

I suspect these templates will work with ultrasuede :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two more for the gallery.

The Half and half is inspired by Lefty and Bob's collaboration. The silicon material may be a way to build a really long fly. I also think that the tail mounted horizontally might be easy with the silicon. It would give a nice outline seen from below like that old Berkley leech.

DSCF2283.jpg

The PJ Popper adapts the Pond Jumper legs to a popper. I seldom wrap the transition from body to tail with hackle. When was the last time you saw a frog wearing a tutu?

DSCF2288.jpg

I used the templates above with modification. I usually trim a paddle shape tab instead of leaving the nose pointed. With the PJ I leave out everything but the legs and have a tab on the front and between the legs for tying it down.

• 1 month later...

Just when you thought this thread was dead, here comes another one. It is inspired by Ehlers' Grim Reaper. I am beginning to think that horizontal tails are better. The large tail is sandwiched between two shorter tails.

ckreaper.jpg

I made a similar fly with a faux suede tail so I can compare.

It is hard to see the details in black. Here's a pro shot of the original.

ehlers-grim-reaper-firetiger.jpg

Guest rich mc

I like that big hook! is that fly weighted ? tie that on a football head jig and it would look better than the jig shaw grisby used on tv this morning rich mc