Kish flowing?

Joe R

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually floated on Saturday. Put in at home, just downstream of Baumann Park. It was fine until I git to the big slow bend near Mulford Road. At that point it was not floatable. I thought about trying to bust through, but my sensible side won out. I paddled upstream to the best available spot to pull out and had to drag up a pretty steep hill. Luckily, the paved path is at the top of the hill, so I just had to strap on my wheels and stroll to the park and call my wife for a ride.

DSCF2690_zpsc3d23185.jpg

DSCF2693_zps3883ccdb.jpg

I actually floated on Saturday. Put in at home, just downstream of Baumann Park. It was fine until I git to the big slow bend near Mulford Road. At that point it was not floatable. I thought about trying to bust through, but my sensible side won out. I paddled upstream to the best available spot to pull out and had to drag up a pretty steep hill. Luckily, the paved path is at the top of the hill, so I just had to strap on my wheels and stroll to the park and call my wife for a ride.

Why?

Good question, Terry. I could have stayed in and watched some thrilling (insert televised sport here), or Everybody Love Raymond re-runs. Maybe get caught up on my You-tube viewing. Instead, I opted for the peace, quiet, beauty and solitude of a winter float. I don't know what I was thinking!

Or are you asking why I called my wife for a ride? 'Cause I doubt you'd come fetch me if I called you, that's why.

No top water action, Rich. Didn't even take my gear.

Joe…What more can you tell me about winter pike fishing? Are they just as aggressive as in summer? Are they down deep? (Can I use a Chug Bug!?) It seems that the slower spots that I consider pikey are the first spots to freeze.

What I found in Nov and Dec is that the pike in Kishwuakee were aggressive. Not as aggressive as in summer but they still hit hard and will do some chasing. Big flies or stick baits in the 4-6" range. I tend to stay with baitfish colors nothing to flashy. Pearls, muted whites, etc with markings . The bigger fish feed in winter and in particular females they are egg factories now...they will be spawning at ice out. They will still come up to the surface but in winter I use suspenders. Fished more slowly, with pauses and twitches. They won't rocket up to the surface from deep water like warmer weather but they will hit the surface in 1-3 FOW if you find a fish in the mood.

You won't find them in current, they certainly don't like that in winter. Quiet waters especially those with sticks and branches and leaves on the bottom where they can just park there and blend in. But yes the problem with fishing them in winter on a place like the Kish is those areas will have ice shelves. They may be in shallow or deep water just like the summer. On sunny days though deeper or in the shade. If you find quiet open water areas you could catch pike if it's a pike area. Last year was the first year I fished Kish so I don't know it real well but I learned that some areas have low pike counts and some areas have decent pike count. Not worth winter fishing them in low pike count areas.

Terry did come and get me when I needed help.

Thank you!

How much did he charge?

I don't charge friends. Just you.

It was the least he could do, considering he's the one who ditched Ed on a strange river.

I think Ed "ditched" us. He was about 3 miles in front of everybody else.

What I found in Nov and Dec.....

But it's now Jan and Feb.

Sweet info you shared there. I Look forward to future reports and watching as you learn the Kish. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

I stopped down at the Kish on Saturday the 14th and fished from the bank tossing around a float and fly I had rigged up from December.

No luck. After about 20 minutes or so I tied on a tube and tossed that around for a good half hour +.

I was fishing an eddy that was fairly easy to access from the shore. Next thing I knew I was standing in the middle of brush untangling my

line from the little branches that like to snag at it as I weave my way thru brush to access a part of the river that I had no plan of accessing to begin with.

Ended up being out for about 2 1/2 hours with no hits or catches, but I did manage to muddy up my good sneakers.

It's not easy being a smallmouth man.