Central Illinois Fly Tyers to begin our 6th year of gatherings

Rob G

January 25th Sunday 1 PM

February 22nd Sunday 1 PM

Bloomington, IL Fire station #2
1911 Hamilton Road, Bloomington, IL 61704

Beginning fly tyers and non-members are always welcome.

And for those interested, we often find a near by watering hole afterwards in order to grab a bite before heading home.

Contact Rob G here at the ISA forums for further information

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to give people a heads up and get everyone thinking about our upcoming fly tying season starting in January. I would love to hear your ideas and opinions as to what you think would make for an enjoyable afternoon or evening of fly tying, rod building, or other related activity. Don't hesitate to think outside the box. Hopefully with your input we can begin putting some dates and ideas together in the very near future.

As always, thank you for your input.

Rob

Consider getting a guest (paid) speaker/tyer for one of your meetings. I haven't had much luck getting the Indy crowd to come up to Chicago. Cecil Guidry or Ian Anderson come to mind. I think Ian is into big flies for musky. You may know of more down your way. I'd come for it & maybe a few more from Chi. I remember you had Gary Krebs once.

John,

I don't know of Mr. Guidry but I've run into Ian frequently when I would visit Flymasters over at Indy, though he wasn't there last Saturday (he knows I am always going to inquire as to where his flute is) I do know he and Gary both like to put on demo's and classes at Flymasters where materials can then be purchased. I do think the idea of a guest tier is a great one. I know we have enjoyed it even when it was just one of our own ISA members such as Rich or Stan that have come down to offer instruction.

Does anyone know of a DRIFT person who might be willing to do this type of thing down state?

I was thinking in terms of who might be easy to come to Champaign. I know a number of Drift members who would be good but do they want to travel? I'll try to get a few suggestions to you. Ian or other staff at Flymasters might be able to suggest someone. Do you want innovation or technique, guides can offer perspective that's useful. Most won't mess with things that are not both simple to use & effective. I'd like to see someone who is into panfish patterns.

but do they want to travel?

But we pay for their gas, their beer and their bar-b-que afterwards, what more could they want? :)

I think it was about 6 years ago that we did have Craig Coffey come over and demonstrate his excellent crystal minnow using angel hair and a dubbing loop but I'm not sure we've seen him since.

guides can offer perspective that's useful. Most won't mess with things that are not both simple to use & effective.

John,

I spoke to a couple of guides last year and it was too cost prohibitive for our small numbers but I'm sure open to any suggestions you might have.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

as Timothy stated, all are welcome, none of us are "experts" but we enjoy sharing techniques, materials, and ideas, and of course many a fishing lie gets swapped around at these gatherings. Afterwards we generally go out for a quick bite or have pizza delivered (at least sometimes it shows up.... Ha)

We are shooting for January 25th, Sunday, at 1 PM for our first fly tie in Bloomington (details of location to come later). It's the weekend of no football, so no reason to stay home.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have our dates and location set for our fly tyer gatherings. Also if you have any ideas as to a program, format or what ever you would enjoy doing on the day, please let me know as we are always open to suggestions.

Hope to see you there and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

January 25th Sunday 1 PM

February 22nd Sunday 1 PM

Bloomington, IL Fire station #2
1911 Hamilton Road, Bloomington, IL 61704

Beginning fly tyers and non-ISA members are always welcome.

And for those interested, we often find a near by watering hole afterwards in order to grab a bite before heading home.

Contact Rob G here at the ISA forums for further information

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fred,

the weather was not totally cooperative with us but we still managed to have 10 or 11 show up. It started getting nasty outside and so we omitted the obligatory BBQ afterwards and headed home. It was mostly an "open tie" and we shared a few tips and techniques with one another. I spent the majority of my time working with Collin and a young woman he brought on some simple basic flies. Collin continues to amaze us all with his ever growing collection of capes. I'm hoping we can put together a few flies at the February 22nd meeting for the ISA Blowout. Looking forward to seeing you then.

Rob