Wading boots- what's the status now?

Fredmo

Seems like several years ago I was reading about the virtues and vices of felt soled or rubber soled wading boots, and which were ecologically better, etc. Don't remember how that came down.

I'm needing some new boots and wonder if there's any suggestions of what's best. I'll be in MO for some trout this year a couple of times, but generally will be in Central IL looking for smallies most of the time.

Any suggestion of a all-around preference?

feltsgrip better or as one reviewer stated about the rubber sole, "it works real well until it doesn't!". some states have banded the felt but ill and mo have not. I prefer the felt for safety reasons. I've used both so I would suggest if you go with the rubber get them studded then don't wear them in your friends boat. timothy

I got the Gray Ghost wading boots from LLBean. They are studded. Love 'em. They are on sale now and LLBean has a great warranty.

http://m.llbean.com/product.html?&page=gray-ghost-wading-boots#63708

I'm on my third year with them. They have held up well. I rinse them with freshwater after each wade and put them upside down to drip dry.

Felts are nice too. Have had 'em and liked 'em. Kinda diggin' the studs though. Plus you sound bad-ass walking down bike paths and such with 'em on.

I have tried all the different kind of soles (including the studs) and the best is the new Vibram sole. Handles everything well..................rocks, mud, sand, etc. I think the Vibram sole comes from the military originally. Simms sells many boots with that sole.................it is truly phenomenal.

Due to felt's better grip studs are really necessary only in slippery conditions usually caused by algae on the streambed For example.a river like the Fox is free of that kind of algae making studs unnecessary with felt.Rubber soles regardless of the type do not grip as well & should always include studs with which they will provide good traction in slippery conditions not quite as good as felt soles with studs but better than studless felt. Studs also help getting in/out of rivers with steep banks like the Dupe.I'm very happy with my Orvis Ultralight boots with studded rubber soles that I've had for a cupl years.

ron:

Have you tried the Vibram soles? They came out to replace felt. They do an incredible job and have no need for studs..............

Unless I'm mistaken Vibram was among the 1st rubber soles on the market and w/o studs did poorly compared to felt in slippery streams.You're a lot younger and steadier on your feet than me.I wouldn't trust any studless rubber sole in slippery streams which does not include the Vermillion as I recall from my outiings there with you.But than again I prefer studs even with felt.Last April while wearing felt neoprene waders for warmth which for some reason are not available with studs from Cabelas(which makes no sense since falling in cold conditions is the worst) I slipped and wound up drinking a lot of Dupage R water before I was able to struggle to my feet.

Maybe most of the streams I frequent, while rocky, are not the slippery rocks you are referring to and that is why the vibram soles work great. Now, when it comes to studs, they are great as long as you are WADING. Do not get in and out of any boat with studs on your boots. Not good for your footing in the boat and not good for the boat. When I had a pair of studded wading boots, I used them in my canoe and put dimples into the inner material of the canoe.

My Cabela boots have vibram soles. Excellent grip and traction for the streams I fish.The soles have held up great unfortunately the comfort of the boot has not. I've had them for 3 years. Getting new ones next year. I like these Simms http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/g3-guide-boot.html.

I've found them for 50% off a couple times this year but didn't buy them. If I see that price again I'm getting them.

John, though I have not tried the specific Vibram soles you mention, I have tried three other rubber soles and in most of the Illinois streams that I fish, they were fine because much of the bottom is silt, sand and gravel. But when I step across over into Indiana and I'm fishing on a lot of slippery rock and bedrock, they were terrible, and only tolerable with studs. The felt is much safer in those conditions and since everything I fish eventually drains into the Wabash, I don't feel the environment to be at risk.

btw, another thread on the subject, that is if you care to wade thru it :lol:

http://www.indianasmallmouthalliance.org/members/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2401

Whether felt or Vibram soles, I always had studs on them. Can't afford to take a tumble while steelheading. :)

The Patagonia's stud bars seems like a good alternative, but has not tried them yet. Has anyone?

I like these Simms http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/g3-guide-boot.html.

I've found them for 50% off a couple times this year but didn't buy them. If I see that price again I'm getting them.

I bought them early this year at a 40% off. These are the old model G3 Boots. They are the most comfortable wading boots I owned; and they dry very fast compared to other. Simms got a new updated version of the G3 boots out this year and they are not discounted.

I've got a pair of the Simms Guide Leather that are a few years old so I guess they are the older style. They are decent boots. Skosh heavy but good traction and great ankle support. I also have a pair of Patagonia RiverWalkers that were on clearance a couple years ago. I get good traction w/those and they are pretty light. I like these for wet wading or lots of walking.

The best boots I ever owned were the old tan colored leather Simms Guide with the sticky sole and build in studs from like 6-7 years ago. Those boots rocked and I was very disappointed that Simms went away from that set up to the vibram soles. The sole was also stitched to the boot body instead of just glued. I'd like to see those come back...

I like the looks of the Simms Rivershed Boot. Those would be on my list to look at when I need another pair. Would also look at Orvis and LL Bean. (jmo's)

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic as I'm in the market.

I fish all winter which includes water crossings and shallow wading and my rubber winter waders (lugged ruber soles) finally died in March they are in a landfill now.

I love my felt boots and warmer month waders but they are certainly a no-go soon. I wouldn't consider long treks in the snow with them and certainly nothing banked.

If anyone has waders they really like for cold-cold months I'd like to hear about it. Something that could stand the tune of 3-4 hour sub-freezing outings.....

Joe, I wade all winter and last year got a pair of 5mm neoprene chest waders from Columbia. My upgrade from 3mm to 5mm neoprene was worth it in terms of warmth. They come up high in the chest and I can get deep if I need to without fear of getting anything wet. (Think they are mainly meant for duck hunting.) The thicker waders do take more power and concentration to move around in, especially because you get buoyant in deep water and mild current can move you. I don't like the lug soles due to their slipperiness around boulders, but having the wader & boots as one unit makes for easy-on / easy-off and not worrying about laces freezing, etc. So that's the tradeoff. I still layer underneath them and go with long wool socks and sometimes even double socks of fleece and wool.

I can't say this is a 100% perfect solution in terms of how much I like them or how much I feel safe in them, but the addition of a wading staff would probably make wintertime wading a lot easier.

I've fished in as low as 17 degrees for smallmouth but generally try to only float-n-fly when it's around freezing or warmer so my guides stay open. Guess if I'm gonna stay cold for that long I'll just ice fish!

Haven't tried steelhead, etc. yet due to the drive time.

I've been using my summer waders for steelheading in the winter. The important key is extra rooms in the waders for winter layering. I normally have 3-4 layers underneath the waders: a mid-weight or heavy-weight base-layer (a wicked dry and non-cotton materials), 1 or 2 mid-layers (fleece pants, again non-cotton), an outer-layer (a thin wind breaker type Gore-Tex pants. This is very important, because the extra layer of Gore-Tex will guarantee to keep you dry.)

As for the boots, extra rooms and layering are the keys also. I have 2 pairs of wading boots: size 9 for summer and size 10 for winter. As for socks, the first layer consists of a thin base layer socks (absolutely non-cotton) and the second layer is a pair of thick Marina wool socks. To keep the toes from getting numb, I put air activated heat-packs in between the first layer and the second layer. Do not put the heat-packs on your skin.

This keeps me mobile and warm. 6-8 hours is a typical steelhead outing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies guys. I missed checking back to this category.

As far a wool, layering, etc I have that covered.

Last year I would use wool socks and one or two pair of toe warmers and then tall neoprene socks over that (maybe 3mm or so). When it was in the 10s or 20s that is what I would use and in general I could do a 4-5hr outing with that combo of shore fishing wading. Not fond of the the rubber boot foots but that is what I used.

What I will probably do is see how far I can get with the breathable stocking foot waders, wool socks, toe warmers. I have Cabelas light wading boots (both felt and lugged) that are size 10. I will play around with how much layering I can do with size 10.

If things feel to cold that way I will just get heavy neoprene boot foot waders oversize for foor layering (or get size 11 wading boots that allow more layering). Really for very cold winter fishing the problem for me is hands but I survive that by bringing 2 or 3 pair of gloves and rotate them by putting them under the coat until they warm-up - and keep repeating the procedure as needed.

Eric, for under 32deg fishing I use spinning reels with low guide counts. It makes a world of difference. I have old fiberglass rods and some graphite rods that are only 4 or 5 guide rods. I wouldn't fish a rod with more than 6 guides in winter. I'm talking garage sale, swap meet type rods with rugged guides - less guides means less icing hassles and longer casts. I spray guides and line to help condition them also.

Joe

I've used neoprene bootfoots for years with water temps near freezing. They keep feet warm with little or no layering because they do not fit tight to the feet like stockingfoots do. A single pair of good wool socks is sufficient.Get your normal shoe size.For maximum warmth with minimal body layering get 5mms rather than 3mms.Felt soles give better instream traction but are miserable for walking thru snow.Therefore for streambeds that are not too slippery rubber soles are the best. A wading staff is good insurance against falling in winter conditions. If a fall happens neoprenes will allow less water to enter as well as maintaining better body heat. Neoprene fold back mittens keep hands warmer than fingered gloves.