Cast & Compare 9/13/14 - 8:30am

Cast & Compare 2014
Saturday 9/13/14 - 8:30am to 12 noon
Glenwood Forest Preserve
1644 S. River St., Batavia, IL. 60510

Bring one or more of your new or favorite rods to compare to others. This is a great chance to try other rods on the water to see what you like. If you are new to fly fishing come out & learn!

Although I’m still working with the shops we will have new rods to test.

We’ll also have a raffle of donated gear during lunch to cover expenses.
Come join us for this free event – stick around & we’ll grill & then go fishi

John Loebach

• 2 weeks later...

Good news today for any who missed out on the Float Your Boat because of the rain. Another reason to come.

​Hi John,

For the Cast & Compare I will bring the following boats for test paddles:

Jackson Kayak Big Rig

Jackson Kayak Kilroy

Jackson Kayak Cuda 12

NuCanoe Frontier 12

Ocean Kayak Tetra

Wilderness Systems Ride 135.

Thanks again for the opportunity to get in front of this crowd. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me. Have a good one.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Versino
Rocktown Adventures
Aurora - Rockford
630-506-5706 - 815-636-9066
© 779-537-1330

• 2 weeks later...

More from Doug Taylor regarding evaluating your switch & spey lines to match your rod & casting. Be sure to bring your 2 handed rods to take advantage of Doug's help.

At Cast and Compare this year, Sage, Rio and Redington will showcase a generous cross section of their product line for you to try out. Every rod will have a matching line. Pro Staff member Doug Taylor will be on hand to help match your own Spey/Switch rod to the correct line.
One of the difficulties of learning to Speycast is getting just the right match of rod to line. If you are having a problem with your rod-to-line match up (irrespective of brand) or a problem with your casting technique, Doug can help with that also. Come to Cast and Compare and experience the very best in Fly Tackle.

Latest copy who's coming. Delivered to 6 shops & sent to 5 more clubs.

Bassbugger Events

Presented by the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance

Cast & Compare 2014

Saturday 9/13/14 - 8:00am to 12 noon

Glenwood Forest Preserve

1644 S. River St., Batavia, IL. 60510

Bring one or more of your new or favorite rods to compare to others. This is a great chance to try other rods on the water. Join us for this FREE event.

This fall we have new products from Sage & Reddington with rep Dave Gellatly & pro staff instructor Doug Taylor. They will showcase a generous cross section of their product line for you to try. Every rod will have a matching line. Doug Taylor will help match your own Spey/Switch rod to the correct line. One of the difficulties of learning to Speycast is getting just the right match of rod to line. If you are having a problem with your rod-to-line match up (irrespective of brand) or a problem with your casting technique, Doug can help.

Kevin Versino will have these kayaks to test paddle:

Jackson Kayak Big Rig, Kilroy & Cuda 12

NuCanoe Frontier 12, Ocean Kayak Tetra,

Wilderness Systems Ride 135.

Rocktown Adventures, Aurora - Rockford

630-506-5706 - 815-636-9066

www.rocktownadventures.com

Dupage Fly Fishing, manager Jeremy Spaccapaniccia is bringing rods from Orvis & Hardy. They are your local Sage shop & can answer questions on cost & availability. Thanks to Jeremy & Dupage Fly Fishing Co. for arranging the new gear for us.

www.dupagefly.com

We’ll also have a raffle of donated gear during lunch.

John Loebach - Fly Fishing Director, ISA

A great turnout, 50 signed in & at least 30 more attended. I liked the Sage Accel, Orvis Recon & Bred Eaton's custom Kabuto glass. Best vintage rod, Jeff Fox's Browning Silaflex. Thank you Dave Gellatly, Jeremy Spaccapaniccia, Doug Taylor, Kevin Versino, Josh Glovinski, Mike Moline, Tim Adkins for bringing product & sharing. Also Cory, Pat H, Spiz, Craig H & Eugene for helping run things.

this was the best cast n compare ever. great reps, kayaks, and a wide assortment of rods. I was most interested in the tankara rod from streamside leaders, not for smallies but shabbona crappies. superb job by john . rich mc

Kudo to John and the team for putting this event together. Every year it's getting bigger and better. These are some of the mental notes that I judged down from the casting: Kabuto glass is pure beauti to look at and joy to cast; Orvis Recon is a very well rounded rod at a mid point price, accurate at short and mid range, easy to cast and still have enough gun to shoot 70+; Orvis H2 has a lot of feel and light in the hand than any other comparetable rod, even the tip-flex has enough bend and feel at mid and short distance; the new Sage Salt is truely a surf and rip rod designed to cast long distances and pick up sin tip line, good for blind & fan casting in big waters; Sage Method is very similar to the Salt, but slightly stiffered at the tip and less feel at short to mid range, a cannon to big lakes, it will cast much better with a RIO Outbound Short; Sage One is a more well round rod than the Method and the Salt, if I can have only one rod, it'll be the one; Ron's 2wt 1oz Sage is quite a rod for such a small stick, got enough power to fight the wind and yet so light/small that that its deceiving. There were so many toys with so little time to play them all. Again, big thanks.........

Great event. Thanks for organizing it. I had a fun time, and it was nice to see you guys as always.

I accidentally left my Nalgene water bottle behind. It is blue with a black cap and stickers on it. Did anyone happen to pick it up? It was under the sign-in table. I can cover shipping costs if you'd be so kind as to return it. Just PM me or call me at 330 309-3544. Thank you in advance.

And Tom, I think Ron's 1oz rod was an Orvis, not Sage ;)

Great event. Thanks for organizing it. I had a fun time, and it was nice to see you guys as always.

I accidentally left my Nalgene water bottle behind. It is blue with a black cap and stickers on it. Did anyone happen to pick it up? It was under the sign-in table. I can cover shipping costs if you'd be so kind as to return it. Just PM me or call me at 330 309-3544. Thank you in advance.

And Tom, I think Ron's 1oz rod was an Orvis, not Sage ;)

The 2wt is an Orvis rod I got in the late 80's for bluegills. I believe it's still the lightest ever made.

Kudos to Tim & Tom for getting out in the river and putting on a beautiful demonstration of distance casting.

Apparently I did not get the TPS report that this was fly rod event only so I left my baitcaster in the car and ventured into the world of fly fishing. I thought this was a really well run event & I got a free lunch out of it. Normally I would go back to my traditional way of fishing but as luck would have I won two prizes during the raffle, so now I own a nice fly rod & box of fly's tied by rich. I'm pretty excited, I stocked hybrid red ears in pond near the house a few years ago and have not been able to catch one but will now ! I just need some more tips from Tom L. pretty sure I saw him tie a knot in the air while 60' of line was whipping around, unreal ! Thanks to all who helped at this event and to the small group of ISA members that hit up some local ponds in the area for some afternoon fishing.

Great job, John!

My 2 favorite rods were Brad Eatons's Kabuto fiberglass build (really easy and relaxed to cast) and the Orvis Recon prototype (lot of power and a price point that is manageable). Loads of fun, besides by leaky waders!

Looking forward to the EARLY SHOW in November.

Apparently I did not get the TPS report that this was fly rod event only so I left my baitcaster in the car and ventured into the world of fly fishing. I thought this was a really well run event & I got a free lunch out of it. Normally I would go back to my traditional way of fishing but as luck would have I won two prizes during the raffle, so now I own a nice fly rod & box of fly's tied by rich. I'm pretty excited, I stocked hybrid red ears in pond near the house a few years ago and have not been able to catch one but will now ! I just need some more tips from Tom L. pretty sure I saw him tie a knot in the air while 60' of line was whipping around, unreal ! Thanks to all who helped at this event and to the small group of ISA members that hit up some local ponds in the area for some afternoon fishing.

It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great.....