DuPage River Float, Saturday, August 16

Assuming the water levels are reasonable we will meet at the boat ramp on 135th Street in Plainfield at 6:00 am and set up shuttles from there. Depending on turnout we may break off into groups and do different stretches. Could be some good topwater/hopper fishing. Plan for a post float drink and eats at Tommy Nevins Brewery, not far from the 135th street ramp for those interested. Let me know if you can make it so we can plan accordingly.

Sound like fun. I will try to make it with my kayak.

I'd love to join all of you but I'm already booked on the 16th. I'm definitely looking to do some floats in the future. I have a couple of pontoons and just took the plunge and invested in my first kayak that should be ready to go this weekend/early next week at the latest.

• 2 weeks later...

If rain stays away we could have great conditions for Saturday's float. Weather is supposed to heat up and hopefully so will the smallie bite. The reason for early start, 6am, is the float I have planned will take 5-6 hours. If we get 10 or more to show we'll do two separate floats, one downstream of 135th and one upstream, both nearly equidistant in length. If less than 10 show we'll probably all do the same float. Plan to bring plenty of water and a snack/lunch. Still plan to meet afterwards at Tommy Nevins to discuss our day's stories, good and bad. Even if the bite isn't on, which I doubt will be the case, we'll still have a great time so come out out and join us. We will meet at 6 am at the 135th Street boat ramp on the southeast side of the Dupage river off 135th Street north of Plainfield and about a quarter mile west of Naper-Plainfield, or 1 mile east of Rt 59. For those who would be interested in joining but don't have a kayak or anyone who has a general question please let me know. Here is a smallie I caught on topwater a few weeks ago on same stretch we will float on Saturday:

zwf91l.jpg

Dupe is currently at 142 cfs and dropping fairly rapidly and clearing. No rain that I see in the forecast between now and Saturday. Should be between 80 and 100 cfs and clearing by Saturday which will be darn near perfect for a Dupage float!

Dupe is currently at 142 cfs and dropping fairly rapidly and clearing. No rain that I see in the forecast between now and Saturday. Should be between 80 and 100 cfs and clearing by Saturday which will be darn near perfect for a Dupage float!

????? The Dupe reading at the Plainfield site is at 246,the Shorewood reading which is probably the more relevant to your float plans is at a brisk 530cfs.if there were no rain forecast the readings would be lower of course by Saturday.But Accweather shows almost an inch Friday thru Saturday.

Following the Naperville gauge which is closest to area we will be fishing, now at 120 cfs and going down. A little overcast conditions will only help the bite. Canoes, drift boats and waders welcome to join

Following the Naperville gauge which is closest to area we will be fishing, now at 120 cfs and going down. A little overcast conditions will only help the bite. Canoes, drift boats and waders welcome to join

Not to belabor the point but the main branch at 135th in P'field is several miles downstream of the west branch in N'ville.The main branch has a lot more "push" than the west branch.But you're right about the river being in good shape for your float especially since today's forecast is for less rain over the weekend than previously predicted.

Mike

Dandy smallie. Sneaky Pete strikes again.

Just got back from visit to the river and noted its still a little stained but clearing. Should be clearer by Saturday. Dupe is currently at 90 cfs and heading lower. River should be in perfect shape by Saturday morning. After meeting at 135th Street ramp on Saturday at 6 am and setting up shuttles hope to get on river by 7 am to start catching smallmouth. Looking forward to seeing old and new faces on Saturday. Fishing could be really good, so try to make it if you can. The more the merrier.

Just got back from visit to the river and noted its still a little stained but clearing. Should be clearer by Saturday. Dupe is currently at 90 cfs and heading lower. River should be in perfect shape by Saturday morning. After meeting at 135th Street ramp on Saturday at 6 am and setting up shuttles hope to get on river by 7 am to start catching smallmouth. Looking forward to seeing old and new faces on Saturday. Fishing could be really good, so try to make it if you can. The more the merrier.

You must not be looking at the gauges on the DuPage. Are you using the West Branch gauges? The Plainfied gauge on the main branch as of right now is at 196. Ideal is around 125

Nah Boogle Bug Ron, but the a Sneaky Pete would've been better with the clear water.

Not to belabor the point but the main branch at 135th in P'field is several miles downstream of the west branch in N'ville.The main branch has a lot more "push" than the west branch.But you're right about the river being in good shape for your float especially since today's forecast is for less rain over the weekend than previously predicted.

Mike

Dandy smallie. Sneaky Pete strikes again.

Tomorrow is the day for the big float! The stars are lining up for great floating and fishing conditions. River is at near perfect level, low 80s temps, low wind and cloudy skies are in the forecast. The possible rain is supposed to hold off until late afternoon and we should all be off the river well by then. Please come out and join us at the 135th street boat ramp at 6 am if you can. I have an extra Coosa kayak if anyone is interested in using, but would need to know before tonight.