"Stop The Proposed Project Endangering Emiquon Preserve"

Hello,
My name is Mike Conlin and I am the former Illinois DNR Fisheries Chief (1971-2009). I have started an online petition to "Stop The Proposed Project Endangering Emiquon Preserve". Emiquon is a restored backwater area (6000 acres) along the Illinois River just north of Havana, Illinois. It was levied off for farming in the 1920's. Restoration began in 2007 and the area is now a fantastic area full of lush aquatic vegetation, has a top notch fishery, and a thriving wildlife population. However, The Nature Conservancy and the Army Corps of Engineers have plans to reconnect this area to the Illinois River. If that happens, the Illinois will only bring death (heavy silt load, common carp, grass carp, silver carp, bighead carp) to Emiquon! I would appreciate your signing the petition and urging your friends and club members to do the same. It is very easy to do........just click on the link below to view the petition and sign on to support this critical effort.
Thank you so very much for your support of Emiquon and anything you can do to make this petition drive a success!!!
Mike Conlin

Hmmm....Preserving a "restored" backwater,or improving the the health and connectivity of a major river system? Tough call on this one. Me thinks that the Illinois river has been degraded enough to need improvement, and although it will introduce those nasty carp into the system I don't think it will ruin the fishery. It will also provide habitat for imperiled river species. Hard for me put the benefits of a sport fishery over those of the whole ecosystem.