Kishwaukee River Sweep!

June 14 - B.Y.O.B. Kishwaukee River Sweep. (host Tim)

B.Y.O.B. (Bring Your Own Boat and Buy Your Own Breakfast) Kishwaukee River Sweep on Saturday, June 14, 2014 we will be doing a river sweep on the Kishwaukee River from Cherry Valley to Kishwaukee Forest Preserve. Bring your kayak, canoe, or watercraft of choice. This is the most heavily trafficked stretch of the river. Be sure to bring some gloves.

Bottles of water and garbage bags will be provided. We will meet for breakfast at the Cherry Valley Café at 7:00 am.

Bring your camera, Mike Clifford needs pics.

Don't forget to bring a rod to catch a few smallmouth along the way.

Please post if you are coming.

We will have to keep an eye on river levels over the next few days. I sure hope we don't get all the rain they are saying is possible this week.

We will have to keep an eye on river levels over the next few days. I sure hope we don't get all the rain they are saying is possible this week.

Not sure what you are hearing but I'm not hearing what you are.

We should be okay from what I'm hearing.

Yesterday they were saying torrential rains. Now it's some scattered showers. Guess that's what I get for listening to the "experts".

I have a deep distrust for those who consider themselves experts. They are full of excuses when their theories don't pan out. The answer to their arrogance is true humility. And they are the first to tell you they've mastered that also:)

We are a go for the river sweep on the Kishwaukee tomorrow. So far I have Jude, Terry, myself, and three of my sons (Dylan, Derek, Daniel) confirmed. Should be a good day on the water. Water is up a bit and stained but is dropping.

I want to encourage anyone who is considering helping out to commit and post if you are coming. I know we all enjoy the outings where fishing is the primary focus. But there comes a time when we need to give back. I know we are all busy but these kinds of service projects are important too. I'm married, have 5 kids, and work 12 hour days and still made time to participate in this clean up. So if you can make time to help out tomorrow we would appreciate it.

The Kish is a beautiful little river and we would like to keep it that way. It may not have the pollution and trash that other rivers have but it still needs folks to do these clean ups.

If you can't make this clean up please join us for our next Kish outing so you too can experience and appreciate this river with us here in the NW Region.

My intention was not to make anyone feel guilty. Just trying to encourage others to come and help out if they can. My kids are pumped. It will be our first trip down the Kish together. They think it's cool we're going to clean up.

Had a good time with Mr. Dodge and the Goodman pack. Met for a great breakfast and then headed to the river. The Goodmans were in the canoe that Pat M gave to Tim. I think the kids will get a lot of use out of it. Very cool, Pat. Terry was in his pontoon, which was dubbed the Garbage Barge, and I was in my yak. The weather was perfect an the trash was ripe for the pickin'. One of the boys said it was like an Easter egg hunt. Terry and I fished. It was kind of slow, but very competitive. We even ended the day with the same exact number of fish caught. (As noted in Terry's signature line above.) Some pics….

DSCF1827_zpsa3dd81da.jpg

DSCF1841_zps811b0097.jpg

Thanks to Tim for putting this together.

The water level was up a bit, a bit more than what we would like for fishing, but was fine for a river sweep.

I think we kind of needed the extra water we received earlier in the week.

It was a very enjoyable day, weather was perfect.

On 6/15/2014 at 10:25 AM, jude said:

(As noted in Terry's signature line above.)

Sorry, didn't think you'd catch that.

I mean after all you did get skunked.

And yes so did I, but it's nothing new for me.

More pics....

Thanks Terry and Jude for helping out and setting a good example for my sons. They had a blast and are already talking about our next float together on the Kish. Just wish I would have gotten a pic of Jude and his minnow bucket. He said he found it during the clean up but I think I seen him tipping the treble hooks of his Chug Bug with minnows. I guess that's his secret for Chug Buggery.

post-1839-0-45885000-1403057903_thumb.jpgpost-1839-0-10286900-1403057911_thumb.jpgpost-1839-0-19787400-1403057923_thumb.jpgpost-1839-0-06726100-1403057941_thumb.jpgpost-1839-0-85386800-1403057968_thumb.jpgpost-1839-0-82408800-1403057980_thumb.jpgpost-1839-0-42658600-1403057999_thumb.jpg

I think the example was already set years ago. You have some good kids.

Why do you think I ditched the minnow bucket halfway through? Didn't want that pic floating around the interwebs.