A Jig or A Fly?

As I had reported in my White Bass Bonanza report, the most productive fly to catch white bass on the Wolf R on my first trip was a craft fur jig similar to this one in the picture.

post-1339-0-13028600-1401161330_thumb.jpg

With that in mind, I had tied up some craft fur flies using jig hooks, dumbbell eyes, and CCG coated head to test on my second trip. The flies looked very similar to the craft fur jig (see the pictures), acted like the craft fur jig, and as effective as the craft fur jig.

post-1339-0-52031400-1401161330_thumb.jpgpost-1339-0-85325300-1401161330_thumb.jpg

Would you consider them Jigs or Flies?

Guest rich mc

its a weighted fly. the only difference to me is a jig is poured on the hook . a weighted fly is more deadly as it can made to precisely to ones fall rate, hook size and type . rich mc

neither a fly, nor a jig but rather a "Flig"

Them: Hey, what did you catch all those white bass on?

You: A size 4 Flig

Them: wtf?

You: Big Grin

I like the idea of a Flig. It is hard to argue against either jigging or swinging a Flig. I'm sure it works well under a flig float also (the true meaning of FnF).

Tom,

I appreciate your concern over naming your babies. This argument goes better with beer. It is a Clouser. Bob Clouser's deep minnow got put through the analysis machine years ago and was given the dirty name "jig fly." The dust never settled. There's an old guard out there that condemns any fly adulterated by a few wraps of lead or lead substitute. Nymphs to them are an abomination. Split shot is a creation of the devil.

For a less extreme view, consider this. An old fishing catalog would offer dry flies, wet flies, streamers, nymphs, bass bugs, poppers, spoons, spinners, pork rind, and lures. (I may have missed some like foam creations or offering with a lot of epoxy or CCG modeling.) All to be presented with a fly rod. If we stick with this breakdown, the argument goes away; but the beer remains.

Thanks everyone for the input. There are quite a few ideas here.

neither a fly, nor a jig but rather a "Flig"

A "FLIG" is a good term for this Fly/Jig. Like it a lot.

Marabou and craft fur jigs from 1/100 to 1/32 oz on a fly rod are some of my most productive patterns for a multitude of gamefish. Trout, crappie, white bass, panfish, bass, etc. Wouldn't go fly fishing without them.

I will have to start doing the same, after seeing how effective they were.

Tom,

I appreciate your concern over naming your babies. This argument goes better with beer. It is a Clouser. Bob Clouser's deep minnow got put through the analysis machine years ago and was given the dirty name "jig fly." The dust never settled. There's an old guard out there that condemns any fly adulterated by a few wraps of lead or lead substitute. Nymphs to them are an abomination. Split shot is a creation of the devil.

For a less extreme view, consider this. An old fishing catalog would offer dry flies, wet flies, streamers, nymphs, bass bugs, poppers, spoons, spinners, pork rind, and lures. (I may have missed some like foam creations or offering with a lot of epoxy or CCG modeling.) All to be presented with a fly rod. If we stick with this breakdown, the argument goes away; but the beer remains.

Thanks for the insight, Mike. Only disagree on one thing, "the beer won't remain for long also". :)

Assume you are fishing a streamer, if you put a split shot on above a hook even if it's touching the knot , most would consider it a split shot rig. If you clamped the split shot on the hook then I guess it would be a weighted fly. if you started with a hook with lead molded on the shank and tied a streamer on it, then it would be a jig.

If you caught fish on it, I would consider it a success and let it go at that. The most important thing would be is how the placement of the lead affected how the lure worked , not what it's called.

• 3 weeks later...

John, those are Wapsi dumbbell eyes on a 60 deg jig hook and coated over with CCG. Don't know if they would stand up, but they do dive head first like a jig.