5/31 NW Region Float Trip

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barely broke 7ft. Already dropping. River should be perfect for a float Saturday. 85 degrees and sunny. I'll be on the river for sure. Come on man, think positive.

If he does, will he be floating solo or with you in a canoe?

Eric,

Sorry to hear that.

Not sorry that you have to spend time with the wife, just sorry that you can't make it.

Don't let your wife read this.

Oh, spending time with family is definitely a good thing, I just wish I could do both ;)

ericg

For those who may not know.....

Breakfast map it

https://plus.google.com/108624718606602667345/about?gl=us&hl=en

Here's how we stand....

1) Myself (Terry Dodge) - yak

2) Tim Goodman ii - yak

3) Jordan (?) - yak

4) Jude - yak

5) Allen Rupp & Samantha - canoe

6) Vernon P- yak

Current river level as of Friday, May 30th @ 7:18am. is -----------> PRY12 Gage - 6.52ft. and dropping. Perfect! :)

Everybody got their Illinois Water Usage Stamp on their boats?

I'm out! I blame Terry for jinxing my "planning" to attend. Water levels look perfect, I'm sure you guys will have a good outing. I've got to entertain an old friend whose in town for the day.

Nice planning Terry! Good fishing all!

Thanks Eric!

I was a bit concerned that I may have scheduled the rain we received earlier this week a little too late, but things worked out good.

I managed to scatter the storms pretty well where as one area didn't get hit too hard. It takes some planning but I do have to admit that I learned

a lot from the mistakes Jude had made when he was coordinating our outings, most of which got rained out.

The things I do to please people.

The Kish will be flowing at about 6.30ft. for tomorrows float.

That's PERFECT!

The float has been completed.

There were 7 of us altogether in 6 boats. A few fish were caught but not a lot.

We all kind of separated from each other and fish at our own paces.

I hope Tim made it back (?).

Full report in the works.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

A buddy and myself were kayak fishing on the Kish on the day of this trip, from Belvidere to Distillery Rd. That trip is only about half the distance to Cherry Valley, but we were on a time crunch and only had until about 1pm to fish. We started at about 5:30am and did a combination of wading and kayaking, while fishing with topwater baits, tubes, and swimbaits. Our luck looked very promising at first, each of us hooking into a fish before we even launched our boats. Unfortunately the bite slowed down and we ended the day with a little over a half dozen fish, with the largest being around 14" - 15".

One of the other results of the day was that a little before noon, we got caught up by Jude and a couple other members of the ISA, who stopped to chat with us for a bit. He told us about the ISA, which honestly neither of us had heard of before but immediately sounded like a club we'd fit in well with. Lots of like-minded people interested in conservation, stewardship, outdoor recreation, and the wonderful smallmouth bass of course.

Although we didn't stay and fish among the group, it was nice to meet some people out on the water doing exactly the same thing we were already doing ourselves. After getting home and putting the gear away, the next thing I did was log on, research a bit into the ISA, and within a few minutes, I was ready to join.

Just a bit more about myself, I am 32 years old from Elgin, IL and I grew up fishing on the Fox River as well as taking vacations to northern Wisconsin to lakes in Mercer, Manitowish Waters, and Minocqua. I have been kayaking for about 3 years, but just recently got more serious about fishing from one. Try to get out and fish in my local stretches of the Fox as often as I can, which is sometimes more productive than others. I'm also looking to explore some more areas, such as stretches of the Kish, Apple River, Pecatonica, Nippersink, Vermillion, and anywhere else I can try.

Looking forward to surfing the forum and seeing what else the ISA has to offer!

Chris

Hey Chris…Glad to see you found our little e-clubhouse! Welcome aboard and look forward to hitting the Kish with you some day. I think there's an Apple trip planned later in the summer. Plenty of Chicago area Fox rats in here too. Lots of stuff going on within the club, most of which is on the calendar at the top of this page. Hope to read some reports in the future.

Quick report here. I made it back to C.V. at 8:30 pm. Caught 26 smallmouth, 1 largemouth, and 1 pike. Nothing over 14 inches. Most fish caught on a tube but I did mange a few in the chug bug and a buzz bait. I can't remember what time we launched exactly. I think it was around 10:00 or 10:30. This seemed like too much water to fish adequately unless we get an earlier start next time. I'm thinking about floating this stretch again in a few weeks but on the water at 5:00am. Overall it was a beautiful day on a good stretch if the Kish.

Oh and one more thing, where the heck did everyone go? I started out at the front of the pack and next thing I know I never see any one again. I thought maybe that's why I caught smaller fish. You guys hooked all the big ones and I just played cleanup.

Following last minute change of plans was able to make the trip to Cherry Valley for the NW float. Following a delicious breakfast including biscuits and gravy we set up the shuttle and got on the river by mid morning. The weather was hot (90s) and the river conditions were great. I followed Jude's lead and fished only top water lures, throwing a sara spook and sexy dawg the entire day. It was fairly productive and made for great excitement when the smallmouth pounded the lure. A few took it softly and patience was a key that I seldom executed. Ended up with 13 smallmouth and a pike that exploded on the top water. It was great meeting some new club members and I owe Allen and Samantha an apology as I still have the awesome nippers they loaned me. Allen, please pm me and give me your address and I will mail the nippers to you. Thank you Terry and Jude for putting on this great trip. I look forward to the next outing on the Kish, a great smallmouth river. Here are a few pics from the day.

2mo6z2w.jpg

i380wl.jpg

2nbst3t.jpg

kdo686.jpg

I'm glad that some folks got into some fish.

I believe Samantha and myself were the only two who didn't. An 8 hour float skunk SUCKS! But it was fun.

After we put-in we all kind of floated and fished at our own paces. Bart was the first to exit the river, which must have been

around 5:30pm/6:00pm, followed by the rest of us (except Tim) around 7:00pm.

The fishing was tough on this day due to what Jude believes to be a post spawn slump. I'll buy that.

(I caught nothing, so I have to agree with him this one time)

I believe Jim S managed one fish on the day with his fly rod.

I can't believe I got out fished by a gentleman (Jim S) who fishes with feathers only. :angry:

It was nice to meet new members Allen & Samantha and I hope they return to give the Kish another shot on one of

our NW Region wade outings.

The fact being that we all kind of split up contributes to my failure of taking lots of pictures. Sorry.

But here is what I did get....

Pics from Jim S.....