swimming jigs, worms, bucktails

A few videos i've been watching

Classic Charlie Brewer check out his retrieve about 47 minutes in.

These gentleman including John Skinner the Bucktail guy seem to work with one lure covering lots of different depths and speeds.

In my experiences, using a swim bait as a trailer outfishes a grub hands down! The action you get from using a swimbait causes the whole jig to wobble on the retrieve. A curly-tail grub does not elicit enough side to side action to cause the whole jig to wobble.

Tom Monsoor is considered the godfather of swim jigs. When I first started using swim jigs, Tom was one of the guys that I read about. If you are not throwing swim jigs, at least some of the time, you are truly missing out! One of the best search baits I have ever used.

In addition, the swim jig seems, at least for me, to select for larger sized smallies. Some of my biggest have come on swim jigs.

Phil,

Thanks. That tape is 25 years old, but the Brewer slider jigs are still around. Fireline and Spiderwire were 5-10 away when this was made. It is a good review of a basic system.

The larger the swimbait, the larger the jig you need to get the proper movement and vibration from the whole package. it may sound weird but I have been using 1/2 to 3/4 oz jigs with 6 inch boot tail swimbaits successfully for river smallmouth. as Jonn says, they do select for larger fish, especially the size I'm using.

rigging the swimbaits flat, where the shape allows gives you more hook gap and better hookups.

It's nothing I've dreamed up on my own, just using lures and tactics Doug Stange has been writing about for some time. They are just for walleye and pike in lakes.

Not disagreeing with you guys as I've had some great days w/a swimbait trailer and it does thump... but when I first started fishing swim jigs (Jonn's) all I used was a 4 inch curly tail grub. I had some stellar days using that. Some of the success might have due a more subtle presentation and early spring water temps in the low 40's. Maybe not... just sharing my success w/both trailers.

Slightly frozen caught a few today swimming a tubejig. I'll try the thumping tail. I like the idea of tying one type of lure on and using it all year just changing size, weight, retreive, color,and trailer.

The larger the swimbait, the larger the jig you need to get the proper movement and vibration from the whole package. it may sound weird but I have been using 1/2 to 3/4 oz jigs with 6 inch boot tail swimbaits successfully for river smallmouth. as Jonn says, they do select for larger fish, especially the size I'm using.

rigging the swimbaits flat, where the shape allows gives you more hook gap and better hookups.

It's nothing I've dreamed up on my own, just using lures and tactics Doug Stange has been writing about for some time. They are just for walleye and pike in lakes.

i've seen your baits, and it does look like your going for pike, lol

i've seen your baits, and it does look like your going for pike, lol

Did you ever notice dying fish struggling on their sides or belly up. If you were a fish and wanted an easy meal...

When we get all bunched up about tuning baits to run true and upright, are we missing something?

I've got some musky boot tails I use.

The heavy jig is necessary to get the large boot tails thumping right and make the package roll correctly.

After reading the recent article about skate baits adding big sluggos and magnum flukes to the mix with some larger matzuto heads I have left.