Zap z-poxy 5 min

Dont know why I never tried this, I loved the way this stuff fills in the gaps, and literally less than a dime size drop could easily do a few flies. Easy to get the shape you want, just have to move it around a bit because it remains fluid like for a minute or so. Its also crystal clear, no yellowing or tackiness. Best part is none of the odors I was used to from my exo-flex. $15 for the box, guy at the fly shop has been using the same kit for 4 years. This would be best if you whip up a few flies, and do them all at the same time, but could easily be used for one. This is an old fly, just wanted to try it out to get the hang of how it settles and moves. Ryan

25hphfq.jpg

9jojo1.jpg

Ryan, how is this proxy compare to CCG, cost while?

Well, CCG is much more expensive, but the Zap epoxy isn't uv hardened. It's a 5 minute epoxy, just equal parts of both bottles, a toothpick or bodkin, and your good to go. CCG is definitely more convenient, but all you have to do is move the fly around for a minute until it begins to settle. No experience with CCG, but like I said, the kit is $15 and will probably last me years.

Epoxy is great and easy to use. Downside is insane yellowing over time and exposure to UV. How about an update pic in July?

Their you go, Tim's got more long term experience with it. I'd we willing to post again in July, but this fly will probably be long gone!

Epoxy is great and easy to use. Downside is insane yellowing over time and exposure to UV. How about an update pic in July?

How about this, For those of us with less experience with the uv cured glues, is the CCG or Loon Outdoors products worth the initial setup cost? Ryan

I have been using the Z-poxy ever since I started making swim jigs. I use the five minute formula you referred to. I use it when attaching the weed guard to the jig. The stuff is great.............no doubt. But, you talk about the bottles lasting for years. Here is the problem I have experienced. After awhile, as you get toward the bottom of the bottle, the material begins to stiffen and becomes really tough to squeeze out of the applicator bottles. Not sure why? It gets so bad, that you either have to heat the bottle (I use my heat gun that I use when powder painting the jigheads) or just go buy two new bottles. I just bought some new bottles about six months ago and have tried to store the bottles in the box they came in when not in use. I am thinking maybe storing them outside the box is the problem.............who knows.

The stuff is great, but when it comes to fly tying, I go with CCG. I am an impatient man and love how you can complete the head of a fly with CCG in seconds...........

For those that want to try the UV hardened glues, consider purchasing from this physician up near Wausau, WI. Henry's Konemoto's Crystal UV Coat epoxy is much less expensive than the other guys and he sells the exact same lights as CCG at half the price. Also, it dries without tackiness so you don't have to re-coat it.

Contact me if you're interested in Henry's email.

I know it's even more initial cost, but the "pro plus" (3watt) curing torch used with any of the tack free CCG or hydro is worth the money. Totally and completely tack free finish in 3 seconds. There are some things I like about the 5min epoxy, like working with the shape as it slowly thickens and cures, but I never reminisce about that when I'm zapping CCG heads left and right. You can build it up super thick with 3 layers if you want, each cured in 3ish seconds. That starts to get expensive. I mean, if it's a surf candy for albies, I'll use CCG. If there's a chance at bluefish, I'll use epoxy. With epoxy you can always pre-tie the patterns whenever and then add epoxy the days before the trip so they look clear during the fishing. Lots of fish are still caught on yellowed heads, of course. It's more about your tying process and obviously bin appeal over time.